Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Read These Novels to Fill Your Romantic Void

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

It’s Valentine’s Day yet again! Even if you’re not in a relationship, February 14th is still a fun day on which to celebrate all the people you love. If you feel like you’re missing out on that romantic holiday swoonthough, live vicariously through these six romance novels!

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

This is one of my all time favorite books. It follows the story of Anna, a high school senior who is devastated because she’s being forced to move across the worldPersonally, I can’t relate. (How many people actually get to move to Paris at 17?). Despite her beautiful surroundings, however, Anna feels lonely and isolated in this foreign country. That is, until she makes a great new group of friends and meets a handsome young lad named  Étienne. He’s everything you could want in a fictional boy–though you’ll have to imagine the french accent. Read this if you want to be transported to the city of love!

Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch

Here’s another travel-themed meet-cute. When Lina goes to Tuscany over the summer to spend time with her father, she’s disappointed at first (and understandably so). Not only does she now live in a city whose language she does not understand, but her father’s home is in a cemetery. Luckily it doesn’t take long for her to meet their teenage neighbor, Ren, who takes her on an adventure to discover Tuscany’s secrets . Jenna Evans Welch gives a vivid description of Tuscany’s landscape. I’ve  never been to the Tuscany region, but now I feel like I’ve seen the city from the top of the Duomo and zoomed through the tiny streets on the back of a scooter! I recommend you read this book if you want to experience drama in a beautiful setting!

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

The title of this book might be a reference to the iconic rom-com When Harry Met Sally, but don’t be fooled.  When Dimple Met Rishi is a totally new twist on that story. Dimple’s parents are eager for her to meet an “ideal indian husband.” Enter Rishi. He’s going to the same summer coding camp as Dimple , and he’s in on their parents’ plan. He just has to win Dimple over without her finding out about their scheme. My favorite part about this novel is learning about Indian culture in a positive way–it seems like most forms of pop entertainment look down upon arranged marriage, but this book uses it as a romantic plot device instead of being critical of it. Read this if you want to learn about Indian culture! 

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Ever wonder what life would be like if you knew when you  were going to die? Well, Mateo and Rufus don’t have to wonder. When they receive news that it’s their last day alive, they both join an app designed to connect people on their deathbed. Though complete strangers to each other, they decide to spend their remaining time together. They go through an entire day making new memories and forming a new relationship. This book is a deep delve into character development–despite the  short time frame in which they interact, Try out this book for an emotional read!

Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson

This isn’t your favorite Kelly Clarkson song. When Emily’s best friend Sloane suddenly disappears, Emily misses her desperately. There’s no sign of Sloane, except for a note containing a list of tasks for Emily to complete. Think fun bucket list: go skinny dipping, make friends with a stranger, etc. Sounds like fun, except…Emily is still at a loss for how to function on her own. Looks like she needs to find someone to help her complete Sloane’s list! I like this story because I can relate to Emily’s hesitation–she wants to try new things but also feels like she has a mental block . She discovers, however, that in the end, new relationships and new experiences make you a better person. Read this if you’re already done with this semester and want inspiration for your summer bucket list!

Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz

Fans of Hamilton: want to know more about Alexander and Eliza’s love story? Even though this novel isn’t a direct retelling of the musical, there are some musical references thrown in throughout. Told from Eliza’s perspective, this book tells the story of what might have actually happened between Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler when they first met. Even though this book is full of YA tropes, that’s what we’re here for! It’s fun to read a familiar story in a completely new era. Read this if you want romance in a different century!

Madeline is a junior studying English at Arizona State University. She was raised in California but now calls Arizona home. Some of her hobbies are reading, writing, and taking really long walks through parks with beautiful scenery.