This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

The feeling of the warm sun hitting your skin after a long winter season is one of the best feelings. It’s officially sundress season. Flowers are blooming, the weather is getting warmer, nights are getting longer: it’s spring time!

The Season of Spring

Spring blesses us with the ability to go on picnics again. Before having a picnic, however, it’s critical that you check the weather so you know what you’re getting yourself into. The weather will determine the kind of clothing to wear and the best time to go. Once you have found the place that you want to have your date, you have to look for the perfect spot–one where the grass isn’t too wet and there’s some shade to block the sun.

One of the only items needed for a picnic is a blanket and it’s important to make sure you have a good, sturdy one. Other key essentials are bug spray and sunscreen. Once it starts to get warmer outside, more bugs like to come out–especially in grassy areas or parks. Picking the right location and time is essential.

people sitting on grass in front of a city skyline
Photo by Ben Duchac from Unsplash

Depending on the weather, going on a date during the day may be better than when the sunsets. If you live in a state where it gets pretty cold closer to the evening then I definitely recommend going during the day. If you live in a state like Arizona, however, where the evening is the nicest part of the day during Spring, then I recommend going when the sun starts to set. There are pros and cons to going during sundown. The weather may be nicer, but you have a shorter window of time until it gets dark outside.

P.S.  Picnics are huge money savers compared to traditional date nights. The only things that cost money are the items you choose to bring with you. Most of the time, going on a picnic will end up costing less than going on a date to a restaurant or a movie.

cottagecore
Photo by Jing Xi Lau from Unsplash
Get Creative

Picnics provide the best opportunity to get creative on dates. This is a great time to work on your artistic skills and bring some paint and canvases to decorate. Those who are 21 or older can bring wine or champagne and participate in a taste-testing. Making a charcuterie board together or bringing the board to the picnic is another way to get creative with your date. However, just watching the sunset and enjoying each other’s presence can  be just as enjoyable.

Marissa is attending Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and majoring in Mass Communication and Media Studies. When she’s not writing or reading, she’s snowboarding and traveling.