Perfect BFFs don’t exist!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

At the slightest hint of affection and interest to spend more time together from an acquaintance, collegiettes get so blown away that they can not contain their joy. In their minds, they have already conceived an image of a blossoming unbreakable bond forming between them and this new friend. And it is a friendship based on the Summer and Marissa kind of solidarity (from the O.C). In more conceptual circumstances, they envision a Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift celebrity kind of friendship, and they are at the center of it. A fairy tale definitely coming true…

To add icing to the cake, the new friend gets so close to them, and they both declare to be BFFs for life. That is enough affirmation to make them 100% convicted that they have found a friend for life. They are so positive that nothing can separate them now,and they give a toast to a lifetime of fascinating BFF moments.

The ideal friendship they have in mind

• The new BFF will like all their pictures on Instagram and comment on every picture they post on Facebook.

• She will Snapchat them every second of the day.

• She will laugh at all their jokes.

• New BFF will hate all the people they hate.

• BFF will agree with them all the time.

• New BFF will be in a good mood all the time.

• New BFF will always have time to listen to their unending problems.

•  

SADLY, this movie kind of friendship does not always exist in reality. This is because it idolizes this all perfect “BFF love fest,” where you and your bestfriend lie on the couch, eating Dominos, and watching Gilmore Girls all day during the weekends. Because of this mindset, girls have this idealistic view of “a perfect BFF.” However, I’m sorry to break many hearts today by declaring that this fantasy does not exist.

The Truth is..

• Your bestie is not going to Facetime you every single day.

• She is probably going to be the opposite of Max from “2 Broke Girls”

• She will have multiple friends apart from you.

• She will grow, and as a result, may change overtime.

• You will fight a lot.

• Schedules will be hectic, and you won’t be able to meet as often.

• At some point, she may not even get along with your boyfriend.

HOWEVER,

• When you find that one special friend who makes you red with anger at times, but you can’t stay mad at them for too long.

• That person who is brave enough to tell you the truth even when you don’t want to hear it.

• That girl who is willing to postpone writing her assignment, just so she can go with you to Target or Walmart to help you choose the right hair conditioner.

• The one person who sends you hilarious Snapchats that make you cry with laughter, because she knows you are not feeling all too well.

• That unique girlfriend who understands you more than you understand yourself.

• The friend you can not talk to for weeks, but when you meet, it seems like you last spoke yesterday.

When you are fortunate enough to find that one unusual friend who is willing to do all that for you, then pat yourself on the back, because you have indeed found a real best friend for life.You have finally found the yin to your yang, and you can now certainly pronounce in all earnesty that you have found a real BFF who will stand by you through thick and thin. You may already have found her, and if you have, please make sure to never let her go. If you haven’t, be patient enough, at some point, she will come into your life. In the time being, best wishes as you patiently wait for your “Yin.”

P.S : She may not even match any single item on your BFF checklist, but when she comes, you will just know!

Passionate, curious and assertive human being, who is driven by the zeal to instigate social change.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.