alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year, Better Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Each year, around New Year, everyone begins crafting their new year’s resolutions. Something that’ll give them a productivity makeover if they manage to stick to it. Losing weight so you look amazing next year or saving money to attain a good financial standing. But what if instead of pledging to drastically overhaul your life, you plan gradual changes? Rather than writing new year’s resolutions that you pick and try to keep for a whole year, wouldn’t it be more logical to begin a journey that you start now and don’t have to stop just because the next year has arrived? Who made the rule that the goal has to be achieved in 365 days?

This year I won’t be making new year’s resolutions couched in “new year, new me”, rather I see 2020 as the first step to a life of creating a better me. I will work out more, eat healthier meals, improve my makeup skills, and experiment with my wardrobe. I want to better myself for the rest of my life, because I care about the distant future me. Even though I didn’t start January 1, 2020, it doesn’t mean I can’t pick up and start my goals now.

New year’s resolutions don’t have to be radical changes in your life. Although it’s true that working out and eating better would have a significant impact on my overall health and happiness if I stuck with it, but other goals such as makeup, may have a smaller impact but are just as valid as any other. Whatever you want to do with your life, it’s worth setting a goal to achieve it. There is no dream too small that isn’t valid enough to put the work into, if you truly want it.

Lastly, be sure to allow yourself to be imperfect. We are human beings who only want to improve. Most goals are not life or death and it’s okay to slip up on them and pick them back up when you are ready and able. Not every day for the next year will I have the energy to do a full face of makeup, but I will keep trying each chance I get. Missing a day won’t hurt  if you are doing what you need to do 90 percent of the time. So, get out there and make a better future you, one day at a time.

Hi there! My names Alissan Speidel, I'm a journalism major and business minor at Arizona State University. I love writing, shopping, getting to know new people and finding new Netflix and Spotify gems.