This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

As we near the height of February, there’s a lot on everyone’s minds— especially love. 

This Valentine’s Day let’s remember to focus on self-love while we share our happiness and joy to others around us during this holiday. 

An important aspect of self-love is that the formats, techniques, and type of self-love will vary from person to person. So, let’s share important self-love techniques during this loving season! To start us off, I will be sharing my top three self-love methods!

1. Dancing With Myself” – Billy Idol

Not only is this an incredible song title by Billy Idol, but dancing is one of my favorite ways to provide myself with self-love. Plugging in my headphones and allowing my body and mind to relax is a form of self-care that doesn’t take all day. In this song’s case, three minutes and 23 seconds is the perfect amount of time to express myself. This dancing technique is a form of self-love that allows me to wake up my body and feel alive. The music has no relation to the stressful factors of my life, which helps my mind wander from the stress of college-life, relationship, and job-related issues. 

1. I Was Made For Lovin’ You” – KISS

With this technique, we are focusing on loving ourselves with affirmation. Let’s think of this song as you were made for lovin’ you, and the idea that at the end of each day, the one person we will always have is ourselves. Knowing that we will always be able to rely on ourselves means we need to treat ourselves with the same respect and love that we treat and give to other people. Affirmations are positive and supportive thoughts and sayings that are meant to help you grow from a situation. An example of affirmations in relation to self-love are “I am…” sayings such as “I am loved. I am kind. I am happy.” 

1. Que Sera, Sera” – Doris Day

Self-love is often focusing on understanding ourselves and our emotions in order to be able to function in the world around us. Usually, when we focus on loving ourselves first, we are able to love others. This can be difficult for those who are empathetic to the emotions and people around them, but it is important to also think of yourself as a person in your life to take care of. It is essential to remember that “the future’s not ours to see” and “whatever will be, will be,” meaning that we cannot control the people or situations around us. So, if we try to move forward with our best intentions and live without expectations of the future, then the future will come and go peacefully as we will be accepting of what it brings. 

Feel free to comment on this article about the unique ways YOU practice self-love! 

Today is going to be a good day ladies! Welcome to Maya's account as she begins her journey at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. Maya's goal is to work within columnist writing to analyze concepts for the community of students and families of Arizona.