Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Most Rewarding Parts of Relationships are the Most Difficult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Relationships are hard – everyone knows this. The idea of dedicating so much of yourself to one person seems impossible, and many choose to run at the thought of being tied down. Everyone knows that miscommunication is bound to happen, insecurities will always come up and trust might be questioned. So why would anyone want to be in a relationship in the first place? Does the good really outweigh the bad? The answer to that question is not as straightforward as it may seem. I’m here to tell you that the best parts of relationships are often the most difficult.

When you’re first “talking” to someone, it seems easy and wonderful and euphoric!! You both have hearts glued to your eyes, and fireworks seem to go off every time you talk. You might be thinking, “this person is perfect!” or  “how have they not been wifed up yet?!” Months go by and the fireworks get smaller and smaller; the true test of the relationship is near. In my experience, vulnerability creates closeness. When the relationship starts to dig beyond the surface, where its much rockier, that’s when it becomes more rewarding than you ever could have imagined.

However, this also happens to be  the scary part because his is when you’ll begin to feel completely out of your comfort zone.

Opening up to people is never easy, especially to the one person who you want to seem perfect to. No one wants to show their bad side. The no-makeup, awkward, anxious, and slightly crazy parts of you. You don’t want to scare them off, right? Wrong. When you’re at your most vulnerable, being completely yourself, that’s when you’re giving them the chance to learn the REAL you – not just the side that everyone else sees.

So, what happens after this?

It’s almost like levelling up in a video game, or finding another piece of the puzzle to your relationship. You both have opened up, and created this deeper bond with one another. This doesn’t happen with everyone, and it’s like you’re sharing a special, beautiful secret with only one other person. And that’s how you’ll spend your future, constantly building and nurturing that beautiful secret of vulnerability with each other, until it forms into the one thing that everyone wants – love. Although it might be sappy and totally cliché, it’s a wonderful feeling that comes from the hardest part of being in a relationship. So go out there and be vulnerable! It might result in one of the most significant parts of your life.

Madison Andrade is a senior studying Political Science at Arizona State University. Her favorite pastimes are reading, playing piano and rough-housing with her Great Dane puppies! She aspires to make a positive change in one person's life, every day. If you have any questions for Madison, feel free to email her at: maandra3@asu.edu.