Mid-term Motivation: Celebrities Who Went to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

College can go both ways—It’ll either be the best time of your life, or the worst… And when you’re halfway through your junior year, you’ll probably feel both emotions at the same time. When it comes down to it, we’re all wishing we were born celebrities so we could get everything we wanted and not have to juggle school, a job, an internship, extracurriculars and still have time to sleep and bathe somewhere among all of that.

If you’re feeling anything like I’m feeling right now, you’re in need of some motivation. So what better way to get motivated than a list of celebrities who are/were busy with school while they were also busy being successful celebrities?

1. Kourtney KardashianUniversity of Arizona, Bachelors in Theatre Arts, minor in Spanish

Although she wasn’t as well known until her TV debut, Kourtney was still very well known among the Hollywood A-listers because of her father. After high school, she attended the Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. After spending two years there, she moved to Tucson, Ariz. where she graduated in 2002. Fun fact- her classmates included Nicole Richie and LA Lakers player, Luke Walton.

(blogspot.com)

2. Miranda CosgroveUniversity of Southern California, film major

School of Rock and Nickelodeon starlet, Miranda Cosgrove, must’ve been studying a lot while she was hard at work on set because she got into USC’s School of Cinematic Arts last year. Way to go, girl!

(blogspot.com)

3. Cole SprouseNew York University, Film and Television Production, minor in drama, Dylan Sprouse– New York University, Fine/Studio Arts, concentration in video game design, minor in economics

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody stars are all grown up and are putting their acting careers on hold to pursue a higher education at NYU. They’re not staying out of the gossip blogs though… Don’t worry, they’re just doing safe, typical college student things.

(blogspot.com)

4. Natalie PortmanHarvard University, Class of 2003, A.B. Degree in Psychology

Perhaps one of the better-known celebrity-turned-university-graduate, Natalie Portman, was already a household name when she attended Harvard. Her Ivy League education came as no surprise, since in high school she co-authored a research paper that was published in scientific journals and skipped the premiere of Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace to study for exams. While studying at Harvard, she also developed a passion for political activism. Natalie also took graduate level courses at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem during the spring 2004 semester and in March 2006, she was a guest lecturer at Columbia University, where she taught a course in terrorism and counter terrorism.

http://instagram.com/ravensymonecp/

(imdb.com)

5. Raven-Symone– Academy of Art University

Who knew Raven-Symone was just as talented with a pencil and paper as she is on screen! The talented actress is currently enrolled at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, Calif. She is not shy about posting her art work on her Instagram or her Twitter, but with talent like hers, there’s no need to be shy about it!

(blogspot.com)

6. Emma WatsonBrown University

Our favorite Harry Potter know-it-all has proved to be just like her on-screen character in real life! After a leave of absence to promote the Deathly Hallows movie and after spending her junior year at Oxford, Emma is finally back at Brown this semester to finish her degree in English literature.

(zimbio.com)

7. James Franco– B.A., M.F.A., Ph.D. (in progress)

Although his family always stressed education, this funny guy didn’t have the cleanest high school record. After a few arrests and a juvy scare, he decided to change for the better and pursue an education.  A man of many aspirations (as you will learn soon), James was interested in being a marine biologist, but had always secretly wanted to be an actor. The fear of rejection led him to major in English at UCLA. He dropped out of UCLA after his first year to pursue acting. After finding commercial success as an actor, he went back to UCLA in 2008 to finish his undergraduate degree. Afterward, he moved to New York City where he attended NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts for filmmaking and earned his MFA at Columbia University. He is currently at Yale University getting his Ph D in English.

My name is Alejandra Guillen and I am a junior at Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and at Barrett, the Honors College. As most people do, I enjoy sleep, food (especially of the breakfast, gravy and meat varieties), and Ryan Gosling.