This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Major:

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)

Expected Graduation date:

December 2015

Favorite Hobby:

Pure Barre is my latest obsession. I go once a day with a good friend from school and it kicks my butt! I love it! Also, happy hour. I am not really sure if this qualifies as a real hobby, but in my life it is a necessity.

Relationship Status:

Taken by the amazing Jordie Hein

How are you heavily involved in school?

Being a baccalaureate-nursing student is a true dose of reality. Not only do I spend around 24 hours in class weekly, but I also have 12-hour clinical rotations as well as copious amounts of homework due every day. The grading scale for my classes is also more challenging. For us, anything under a 76% is failing resulting in withdrawal or dismissal from the program, and an A is only a 93% or higher making a 4.0 GPA very hard to attain. Nursing is something that you definitely have to be very passionate about because it is guaranteed to test your sanity. I have taken classes that I consider to be extremely hard and challenging- such as, organic chemistry, pathophysiology, and anatomy and physiology I & II; but nothing, I repeat, nothing can even come close to comparing the day-to-day work of nursing school. I have to study weeks ahead for exams, and I typically have an exam every week. The questions on our tests always have more than one correct answer and the goal is to select “the most correct” option for the given scenario. I would like to say I am just involved with school, but in all honesty, school has become my life.

What drives your passion?

Helping others is ultimately what drives my passion. I am what most people would refer to as “crazy” because my dream is to work on a pediatric hematology/oncology floor. There is something about those kiddos, a fire inside, that I cannot explain or put into words. They are all so spicy and full of live even as they fight through some of the nastiest cancers and diseases out there. The courage these tiny superheroes display inspires me beyond words. I aspire to be a light in their life, I want them to see me and get excited that “Nurse Kelly” is there to hang out with them or take care of them. The tiny humans are definitely what drive my passion the most.

In what you are involved with?

I am a member of the National Student Nurses Association (NSNA) where I currently just applied for a board position. NSNA is pretty much a countrywide club for nursing students; it gives us the opportunity to graduate with national honors and recognition. Throughout each semester I perform 100 hours of community service outside of school. Whether it be going to the local elementary school and conducting a vision and hearing exam, or going into one of Arizona’s many homeless shelters and providing physical examinations, NSNA is there to help the community and promote the importance of health care. I also just became a member of the International Service Learning Organization (ISL) where I can grow from a nursing student into a nursing professional, helping others in third world countries on medical mission trips. This spring I am off to Costa Rica and could not be more excited about it!

What is your secret to managing your time?

I use the time pyramid. I only allow myself to focus on three things! Currently I manage my time around going to school, spending time with my family, and getting good grades. Unfortunately in order to succeed I have had to cut my social life down completely. It might not be the “coolest” thing to do or the most fun, but I know that it will all pay off in the end. I constantly tell myself that when I graduate with a full time job and a great salary I will look back and thank myself for staying so focused and dedicated. I feel like too many students these days graduate with majors they are uninterested in, or majors that were just easy to complete through school, and they find themselves post graduation lost with no job and still no idea as to what to do with their life.

Why do you think it is important to be involved?

I think it is so important to be involved because it allows you to better yourself as a person, as well as in your major of interest. I am constantly amazed by how many incredible people I have met through clubs and organizations. Networking is also another great factor that comes along side with being involved. It allows you to branch out and make connections with people who could potentially hire you one day. You would be surprised as to how many people want you on their team working for them!

What is a goal you have for yourself by graduation?

By graduation I hope to have a few pediatric jobs lined up! I would also like to see myself applying to doctorate school or PA school in the last few months of nursing.

What is one of your favorite memories of your time at ASU thus far?

My favorite memory of ASU is joining my sorority, Pi Beta Phi. I love those angels!

What is your dream career?

My dream career is to be a pediatric hematology/oncology nurse practitioner.

What are you most passionate about?

I am most passionate about caring for others and giving back. I feel that we are only given one life so we should live it out in the best possible way we can.  

What is your favorite quote?

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others” –Mahatma Gandhi

“We can change the world and make it a better place. It is in yours hands to make a difference.” –Nelson Mandela

I am a hard worker and determined to get where I want in life. I am your typical girly-girl, I love pink and my favorite animal is an elephant! I am a junior at Arizona State University majoring in Journalism with a focus on PR. I have been modeling with FORD RBA since the age of five and absolutely fell in love with the Fashion & Beauty industry at a young age. I know exactly what I what in life and happy with the person I am becoming. I love my family more than I could ever explain & my friends have truly helped me get to where I am today. :)
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.