This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.
As the temperature start to drop in Arizona, residents are busting out sweaters, boots, scarves and ordering warm drinks at Starbucks. Unfortunately, with the refreshing cool breeze comes something very unsightly: chapped lips. While we are fortunate enough to not be plagued with ridiculously harsh winters, chapped or dry lips are still a reality.

sephora.com

One of  my favorite lip treatment products is the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. These lip products have an amazing lemon scent, come in different lip shades and are extremely hydrating. However, their $22.50 price tag is not necessarily college wallet friendly.

sephora.com

A more affordable and equally effective lip treatment is the Smith’s Rosebud Salve, which claims to be a multi-purpose product “that moisturizes dry lips, calms and heals irritation, soothes the sting of minor burns, helps heal cuts, tames mangled cuticles, helps fix ashy elbows and knees, and minimizes diaper rash.” This lip treatment has a $6.00 price sticker which not only makes it college wallet friendly, but a bargain because of its multiple purposes.

Beyond purchasing lip products made to repair your chapped lips, there are some simple tricks that can prevent your lips from getting chapped in the first place. Mayo Clinic dermatologist, Dr. Lawrence E. Gibson suggests the following tips for preventing a chapped pucker this winter:

Avoid licking your lips. Your saliva evaporates quickly, which leaves your lips drier than before.
Stay hydrated. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and use a humidifier to moisten the air in your home.
Avoid allergens. Don’t expose yourself to large amounts of irritants or allergens, like fragrances or dyes that are found in some cosmetics and skincare products.  
Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth can cause your lips to dry out.

My name is Alejandra Guillen and I am a junior at Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and at Barrett, the Honors College. As most people do, I enjoy sleep, food (especially of the breakfast, gravy and meat varieties), and Ryan Gosling.