Learning & Creating History at ASU; Angelica Fox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Angelica Fox is a new addition to the ASU family that comes from McClintock High School with a fresh perspective who brings a lot of energy, class, and laughs along with her. Majoring in history with aspirations to become a museum curator and historian, Angelica was selected as one of the class of 2013’s twenty-five ASU’s Leadership Scholarship Program scholars. Her involvements include; START, Amnesty International, ASU’s Leadership Scholarship Program, Young Democrats, Devils Wear Prada, Saint Vincent De Paul, and the Salvation Army. Taking time out of her busy schedule, Angelica allowed me to interview her and get a small glimpse into her soulful and cheerful life.

Living on campus, what are some of your favorite things about ASU? Arizona State University makes it their mission to reach out to every freshman living on campus! Putting CAs and Peer Mentors in every hallway, they really try to help with the transition from high school to college by providing friendly, helpful faces! These leaders help by being your first friend on campus and helping you get involved!  Those leaders and so many of the people at Arizona State University is why I have enjoyed my time here so much. My favorite thing about ASU is how many opportunities there are to get involved! ASU has a variety of clubs that interest anyone! Also literally rolling out of bed in the morning is also a plus!

How has ASU’s Leadership Scholarship Program helped you remain a constant leader in such a big university, and how have the lessons you learned in high school prevailed to make you the leader you are today? Being a part of numerous clubs in high school forced me to learn how to collaborate with many different people. Through cooperation, patience, and follow-through, these experiences from high school shaped me into the leader I am today! Being a member of LSP at ASU has taught me that simply being a leader in high school is not enough. Instead, coming into a huge university like ASU, it is my duty to get out on campus and inspire others to get involved. LSP has pushed me to continue in my journey of furthering my leadership skills! It has taught me who I am as an individual and how to access a situation to see what role I need to play for overall success. Leadership is about being a team player. In my first chapter of ASU, realizing that teamwork is needed for any situation has helped me further my leadership skills. 

Being a freshman, what was the biggest difficulty you came across adjusting to ASU? Definitely building the courage to speak to upper-classman! It’s strange to walk around campus and see adults rather than the barely past adolescent teenagers you see in high school!

I know you were included in walking down a runway for the Sun Devils Wear Prada fashion show, should we be making plans to see you involved in something else this year? I am actually currently in the process of applying for a gallery assistance job in the Arizona State Art Museum! If everything goes smoothly, you should come see a phenomenal museum and come talk to me!

You’re obviously very outgoing, what are some words of encouragement that you would share to other students who are afraid to get involved on campus? Please get involved! Not only do you get great opportunities but you also get to meet amazing people! There are clubs out there for everybody! The hot-dog club for meat lovers, Amnesty International for human-right supporters, or even Rugby for those athletic folk! You won’t regret it; get out of your comfort zone! It may be the best decision you have ever made!

Any other information that you would want to add about being involved?  I’m not exactly sure what you want me to say here! I’m applying for an internship at the Metropolitan Museum in New York? I am a part of Barrett the Honors College? I’m all about history?!

Thank you, Angelica, for your time and I know that you will continue to make ASU into a better and happier place!

Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.