Krissy Lindas: Not Your Average Cheerleader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

When enjoying any Arizona State halftime show, you’ve probably seen the band, baton twirlers, and Krissy Lindas: one of ASU’s cheerleaders. While most students spend their afternoons napping or hanging with friends, Krissy Lindas, is busy leading the number one dance team in the world: ASU’s Spirit Squad. Krissy, who is currently a junior majoring in communications, is also co-captain of the dance team, and juggling an internship during the times she does not have practices, a game, choreography, or workouts.  Her Campus ASU sat down with her to get to know just what her life was like.

·      Kristina Lindas, AKA Krissy

·      Junior Majoring in Communications

·      Home state: Wisconsin

·      Favorite Food: Mac and Cheese

Q: What made you want to join the dance team?

A: I had danced my entire life, and I knew that coming to school wasn’t reason enough to stop dancing. When I was looking for colleges, I looked up what college dance teams are nationally ranked and ASU was in the top 10.  I also knew I wanted to live far away from home and somewhere warm, ha. So I auditioned at the end of my senior year in high school, and joined the team that following year as a freshman.

Q: When did you become captain, and what does being captain entail?

A: I became captain this year and it has been amazing. As far as extra work goes, our team works together a lot to get most of the work done, so I don’t have too much on my plate. For example, we all usually work together to choreograph football and basketball halftime performances and stuff like that. Mainly, as captain it is my job to make sure everyone stays focused, gets what needs to be done at each practice, and make sure everyone stays on top of and knows what is going on with our crazy, busy schedule.

Q: What does being captain mean to you?

A: To be the captain for the ASU Dance Team means the world to me.  This team is made up of such talented and beautiful girls, and it is such an honor that they trust me enough to be captain.

Q: What was your most rewarding moment being on the team?

A: The most rewarding moment I have had being on the team was winning the World Championship, for sure.  We were chosen at nationals to represent the United States for the Dance World Championships last spring, and we brought back the gold. I know that my second most rewarding moment will be when we win nationals in January for this year. We put so many hours of work in every single day and it all pays off in that one moment.

Q: Wow, so on top of the amazing dance team, you have an internship too, right?

A: Yeah, I intern for Sun Devil Athletics Marketing department.  I started interning for the marketing department my sophomore year in the spring 2013 semester. I love anything sports, so this internship is perfect for me.

Q: How do you manage your crazy schedule?

A: Time management! As a full-time student, dancer, and working for the internship I have had to master time management.  I wake up early and go to bed late.  It is so much work, but it’s worth it. I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.

Q:  So what do you want to do after school, dance or communications?

A: After I graduate I really want to follow the path of my internship.  I really enjoy college athletics and want to play some sort of major role in a major university’s athletic department. But, I would also love to continue dancing either for a professional dance team, or just coaching a high school team. I know I would end up so happy with either of those. 

Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.