This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Jordan Wessel may seem like your average, happy-go-lucky, college girl when you look on the surface, though in reality–she is far from it.  The 20-year-old, Colorado-native, recently won the prestigious title of Miss Arizona USA, and in a few short months, will be competing in Las Vegas for the crown of Miss USA 2014– broadcasted live on NBC. Jordan sat down with Her Campus to tell us all about her journey from your normal sorority girl to Miss Arizona.

Age, major and hometown?

I’m 20 years old, and I am majoring in nutrition communication and minoring in business. My hometown is Monument, Colorado.

Had you ever done a pageant before the Miss Arizona pageant?

No, I never have and never thought I would, but it was the best decision I ever made.

So, what made you want to compete in Miss Arizona?

Honestly, I wanted to compete in The Miss Arizona USA pageant because I wanted to prove to myself that I could. I was very ill with a stomach disease for two and a half years, and I ended up healing myself through fitness and nutrition. Once I got healthy I made it my goal to live my life to the absolute fullest. I love doing things that challenge me and make me step outside of my comfort zone. Competing in a pageant was much different than anything I had ever done before. I wanted to go into it with an open mind and just enjoy myself. I ended up meeting incredible women, having the time of my life, and was lucky enough to be crowned.

How did it feel when you won?

No words can describe that feeling. Overwhelmed, stunned, excited, proud, and thankful. I really truly wasn’t expecting to win especially when I saw the incredible women I was competing against. It was one of the best moments of my entire life.

How much has your life changed since the competition?

My life has changed substantially. I’ve been able to network with the most amazing and influential people. Luckily, this has just given me a platform to be able to put myself out there and share my story and inspire people and that’s exactly what I intend to do.

When is the national competition and what are you doing to prepare?

The national competition date has not been announced yet; however, we know that it will be some time this summer. Before the pageant I will spend a lot of time making appearances, volunteering in the community, and traveling. I won Miss Arizona USA being exactly who I am, so I don’t plan on changing much when I compete for Miss USA, only improving myself. I will strive to be at my very personal best when I do step on stage. I am taking the next few months to design my gown, work on interview skills, improve my physique, and catch up on a lot of sleep, hah.

What are your extra-curricular activities that you are involved in and is it challenging to balance all your other commitments with the obligations to Miss Arizona USA?

I am an incredibly busy woman, and that’s exactly how I like it. I am working part-time right now, modeling full time, and also performing all my duties as Miss Arizona USA. Honestly, it’s not very tough balancing it all because I love all of it so much.

So with your hectic schedule do you ever find “me-time?”

I don’t have much downtime to just relax, ha. Honestly, fitness is my “me-time.” It is my passion and my escape.

I have to ask, have you thought about what it would be like to be crowned Miss USA 2014?

Yes I have thought about it; however, I can’t fully wrap my head around the concept. It would be an incredible honor and I can’t even image how drastically my life would change, but I am not allowing myself to get caught up and obsessed over winning. I am living entirely in the moment and enjoying each day to the fullest.

Last question: What would you want people to know about you, had they never met you?

I want people to know that I was not just given any of the things that I have. I worked very hard to be in my position — I pushed myself as far as I could and I believed in myself. I want to inspire people and prove to them that you can truly do anything you put your mind to, but I also want people to know that at the end of the day I am just a 20-year-old driven, young woman who is just making the most out of life and embracing every moment.

We could all benefit from taking on Jordan’s philosophy on life and work ethic, and Her Campus and Arizona State wish her luck in the upcoming Miss USA 2014 competition.

Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.