This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Hobbies are pretty much anything once you think about it. My sister and I have mutually decided shopping is one because it makes her happy and well, isn’t that what it’s all about? It can range from learning a new language to deciding to raise a forest in our backyard. And with the pandemic still clearly in our presence, learning a new hobby at home doesn’t sound like such a bad idea, especially those that are pretty low-budget. Having fun without having to worry about adult stuff like finances is always a plus in my head. So let’s look at some interesting hobbies!

Puzzles

According to my friends, my puzzling habits make me a psychopath. I say, it just makes me a person who is highly amused about connecting cardboard pieces. Maybe it does sound weird when I put it that way but I promise, it’s actually really freaking great! Not only does it feel awesome after finishing a pretty cool 1000 piece creation but making puzzles stimulates the brain so well, it can strengthen memory, improve mood, and many more other brain functions. Think of puzzles as weights used to strengthen our mental muscles so the more we do it, the stronger we’re giving our brain the chance to stay healthy. Sounds like a good deal, right?

Origami

This actually used to be one of my favorite pastimes which I’m happy to say I have time for again. Although origami might sound boring, trust me, that crap is crazy challenging! I remember as a kid, making a dragon didn’t seem all that hard, I mean it was just folding paper so how difficult could it be? I was wrong on SO many levels but it was worth it. I was so proud of that dragon, I displayed that thing like a medal (to this day, it probably is one of my greatest achievements). So like puzzles, this seems like a pretty good way of making up that brain muscle or even just to have a pretty nice distraction to burn down any stress. For tutorials, Youtube is the perfect haven so go crazy!

Calligraphy

My handwriting is pretty disgusting. Like no joke, I have trash writing, it’s sad at this point. However, what might help with this little problem could be calligraphy. I mean, what negative could there be in having beautiful handwriting that looks perfect to hang as decor? The great thing about this hobby is it doesn’t seem to take much to get to incredible levels, only needing basic tools like pens or markers (depends on preference) and a good couple Youtube videos. Honestly, from what I’ve noticed, calligraphy can be experimented with in all kinds of ways and if it means making my chicken scratch into something legible, I’m all for it!

Knitting

I have knitted only one singular thing in my life—a hat. Was it so tiny even my labrador couldn’t fit it? Yes. But was it one of my greatest achievements (right next to the origami dragon)? Double yes! Knitting might sound like a hobby for only older individuals but as someone who’s created something, it’s actually really fun. I remember my tiny 12-year-old self was so fascinated by how something that looked so complicated was actually pretty easy. After a while, knitting becomes a repetition of patterns that is so freaking soothing, it can leave one both relaxed and proud of how far they could get with only a series of patterns. The bonus out of this hobby is once someone is done with making something, they got something that can be wearable or even used as a cozy little blanket (or big, cause sometimes we like rolling ourselves into blanket tacos).

Diana Arellano Barajas is a junior at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Arizona State University. She LOVES creating: graphics, animation, video editing, it's all fair game! Originally from a small town in Mexico, Diana currently resides in Phoenix. In her free time, if she isn't found attached to a book, she's writing about everything and anything including experimenting with visual content. Excited to write for HerCampus, Diana's ready to make readers smile, laugh, and possibly cry (in a good way). Feel free to contact her here: dianaarellano753@yahoo.com