sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Cool in Summer Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Don’t get me wrong; I am NOT complaining about the beautiful weather here in AZ while my friends back on the east coast still have snow…. But for crying out loud, it is hot! I have never dealt with such high temps so early on in the year, and while its awesome for pool parties, hiking, and bike rides… it is not so great for my wardrobe.

Here are five tips that I have gathered about how to look cool and stay cool (literally) while in some scorching rays.

1)   Wear breathable fabric: Yes, the leather shorts are still technically in season, but skip them. Your butt will thank you later when it’s not suffocating in leather. Go with something 100% cotton, a lace cami, or even a breathable kimono. It looks casual, yet still cute and girly.

2)   Don’t cake on the makeup: Sure you want to look tanner so you put on that third layer of bronzer, but trust me, don’t do it. You will sweat it off the moment you go outside and then have awkward streaks down your face. Summer months are for natural, sun kissed, skin. A little bit of mascara, hydrating lip balm, and highlighter is all you need. A girl who wears less, is really more!

3)   Stay away from heat on the hair: Summer and hot temps are a time for natural hair. Constantly curling and straightening your hair isn’t good for it, and usually not worth it once you walk outside into 90-degree weather.  Also try to wear it in a bun or a high pony; those can add a little touch of sleekness and chicness to an otherwise bland outfit, and it will be out of your face!

4)   Flowy summer dresses are your friend: These are the most comfortable things in the world, I mean really you might as well be wearing pajamas, but they are also SO in this season. Just slip them on and add some statement jewelry and you have a super cute outfit right there all the while staying cool.

5)   Lighten up the accessories: You’re not wearing heavy fabrics on your body anymore, so why wear them with your accessories too? Leathers will still make you sweat and stick to your side even as a purse. Instead try canvas or woven bags that will add to the summer, beachy, feel!

Hopefully with these tips I can make it out in AZ for my first summer, and you all can too!

Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.