This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of the most romantic days of the year. Yet, there is so much pressure to buy the perfect gift, pick the right flowers, and add the perfect blend of surprise  and sweetness. Here are some ways to set the mood for your evening with your special someone, minus the stress.

Romantic Dinner 

I don’t know about you, but the way to my heart is through my stomach. I love a good wine and dine, but sometimes white table cloths and six different pieces of silverware are not where it’s happening. Sometimes a girl just wants you to spend time with her and give her attention. Might I recommend a picnic with a blanket, wine, and a cracker and cheese platter by the lake? That way you and your partner can have some one-on-one time with each other (away from the hustle and bustle of V-Day dinner reservations). Don’t forget to put your phone aside and simply be in the moment.

A Night In

No one said you have to go out on Valentine’s Day. Sometimes it’s the little intimate things that you do for your partner that go the extra mile  Light some candles, pop a bottle of wine, run a bath salt bubble bath , and let your partner relax while you start working on dinner for the two of you. After her bath and dinner, you can watch a romantic movie together. It would be cliché to recommend The Notebook, so I’m not going to. I recommend Love & Basketball or Isn’t This Romantic. Sometimes it’s not what you spend, it’s how you spend your time. 

Art and Drinks 

As you can probably sense, I have a running theme here: wine. This option is no different. Drinks and art are a fun way for you to be creative with each other and enjoy some alcohol. It is an intimate yet lighthearted way for you and your partner to bond. Even if one of you is terrible at art, it can still be fun. After the second glass of wine, your painting might start to look like the Mona Lisa even when it’s not meant to, but I promise your partner will still be smiling by your side. 

As someone who loves love and Valentine’s Day, these are some of the best tips to set the mood. However, I have one more tip for you: make them a  playlist! If anything sets the mood, it will definitely be this list of songs. Enjoy!

A Playlist to Set the Mood

“Boo’d Up,” by Ella Mai

“Vulnerable,” by Tinashe ft. Travis Scott

“When I See You,”  by Fantasia

“Motivation,” by Kelly Rowland ft. Lil Wayne

“Permission,” by Ro James

“Morning,” by Teyana Taylor ft. Kehlani

“Ride,”  by SoMo

“Control,” by Princeton Perez

“The Way,” by Kehlani ft. Chance the Rapper

“ Caught Up,”  by Jacob Latimore ft. Serayah

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.