How to Know You’ve Outgrown Something

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Have you ever wondered why you do the same thing day after day? Does it feel like passion is no longer running through your veins? Do you feel like you don’t want to do anything? These might be signs that you have outgrown some of what is happening in your life.

It sometimes feels as if some things that you used to bring you joy, no longer do. I’ve played basketball most of my life, and I remember being passionate about it for years. Now, I enjoy the experience of watching the game, but I’m not as emotionally invested as I once was. After dedicating so much time to the game since I was eight years old, it became evident to me that I was no longer as emotionally attached to basketball. This was a sign that I had outgrown the sport.

You don’t just outgrow things and activities, sometimes you outgrow people as well. There is a saying that people are only in your life for certain seasons. My ten-year high school graduation anniversary is coming up next year and quite frankly, I don’t want to go. There are people that I don’t talk to anymore, but I still have on  social media. It’s funny to sit and think about high school and reminisce about the good times. It is in those moments that I realize how I have matured and grown into a completely different person. What was once sentimental and meaningful, no longer holds any significance in my mind. It’s nice to visit the memories though.

Warner Bros. Television
It is  possible to outgrow feelings. Truthfully, there is only so much space in one’s brain and heart. A good practice in self-care is letting go. Letting go of past anger and resentment, a past heartbreak, even past happiness. Lately, I have been finding  myself worked up about something and a couple hours later, after I have cooled off, I would draw the boundary and say that I am not going to dedicate anymore time, energy or emotional efforts to feeling this way. I’m done and I am moving on. I’m not sure if this comes with age, but even though some things are worth getting mad about in the moment because you are angry, hurt or sad doesn’t mean they should hold the same significance later on. Some things are simply  not worth holding on to.

Some of the things that hold a significant place in our heart is love and heartbreak. I don’t think anyone ever forgets their first love, but there are some people who are in relationships that stay together rather than admitting you’ve outgrown their presence. It’s easy to get attached to shared feelings and history, but romantic partners are also here for a season, like your friends. It’s kind of like going through all of the seasons that determines the strength of a relationship. Maybe your significant other being away for work all the time no longer sits well with you because you want someone to come home to. Maybe this person is more invested in their passions than they are in you, your bond and your connection. All of this is human nature. People evolve and change all the time. Change is a part of life. Sometimes you can outgrow someone in the transition periods between who they were and who they are now.

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.