harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Fight the Back-To-School Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

It’s that time of year again… Back-to-school ads are playing, and it’s time to bring out the backpacks. Sleeping schedules are no longer ideal, and planners must be purchased once again. Almost everyone is dreading the upcoming studying for midterms and late night homework sessions, including myself. To avoid the negative spiral, I’ve decided to create a routine that breeds positivity instead. Here are my ways to avoid the common ‘back-to-school’ blues:

Get Used to Setting an Alarm Again

Try regulating your sleeping schedule before school starts! Nothing is worse than missing your first day of class because your body clock is still set on “Summer”. Setting an alarm will mentally prepare you for the upcoming semester, and allow a smoother entry into your school schedule. It might be an annoying habit in the beginning, but I promise you won’t regret it.

Get Out of Your room!

Coming from someone who loves her bed, I know it’s especially hard to leave your room on those free days. I promise myself that I’ll be productive throughout the day, but I’ve sadly realized that productivity and my bed don’t mix. No matter how hard I try, I always revert back to watching the latest episode of the Bachelor in Paradise, or mindlessly scrolling through the gram. Because of this, I’ve forced myself to get out on these ‘free days’. Whether it be to the library, or even the local coffee shop, I find that I’m much more productive outside of my room.

Eat Breakfast in the Morning

Once again I know how tempting it is to stay in bed all day, especially on the weekend. In the blink of an eye it’s 10 o’clock at night, and you’re wondering where the day went. To avoid wasting a whole day, get up and at ‘em early! It’s so nice to have a productive day, and eating breakfast will spark this. It will also jump start your metabolism and allow your body to maintain a healthy and energized state. Your mood will definitely shift for the better.

Use Some Sort of Organizing Tool

Whether this be a planner, or your phone’s calendar, organization can bring so much peace into your life. These tools can actually make you excited to complete tasks, as opposed to dreading them. Who doesn’t like checking things off of their to-do lists? Planners will also make you feel so much more put together, and can be very aesthetically pleasing for your everyday life. This will make school-related projects more manageable, and [a little more] exciting!

School may seem overwhelming, and often times it is, but with this advice it can become manageable. These tools allow for the elimination of stress and in turn offer a happier and positive attitude. In order to be a boss, you must be the boss of your own life; I hope this advice offered you the tools needed to find your inner boss!

Madison Andrade is a senior studying Political Science at Arizona State University. Her favorite pastimes are reading, playing piano and rough-housing with her Great Dane puppies! She aspires to make a positive change in one person's life, every day. If you have any questions for Madison, feel free to email her at: maandra3@asu.edu.