How to Celebrate a Mother’s Day in different states:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Mother’s Day is the one day out of the year where you MUST celebrate your mom, aunts, grandmas, or any maternal figure in your life. Personally, I am wishing my mom, many aunts, older cousins, and grandmother’s a “Happy Mother’s Day” from a different state. This is my second year not celebrating with them in person. Here are some things I do that you can as well.

Mail a card to them…

…and have them wait until you both can FaceTime to read it. Hand making a card like you used to in elementary is a sentimental way to show appreciation and it shows that you put more effort into it than just buying a card from the store and signing it. No hate if you do buy a card from the store, maybe, add a little drawing to it, in order to make it cuter!

Post a celebratory image…

…or video about your lovely mom to show the world just how special she is. Whether it’s photos of you with this special woman or her from years ago, honoring this person by showing all your friends online is a nice way to appreciate them.

Plan out multiple times a day to make calls…

…to them to wish them a “Happy Mother’s Day!” And let them why they’re special. If you don’t know what to say, then come up with some of your favorite memories with them. Whether it was more than ten years ago or just a few days ago talking about the good ol’ times  is a great idea.

Postmates their favorite breakfast to them!

That way they don’t have to pay or make it themselves. Having their favorite food delivered to them is a great surprise. Also, there are always promo codes for discounts or free delivery that Postmates, Door Dash, and Uber Eats on special holidays like Mother’s Day. 

Send flowers or bouquets of fruit to be delivered.

Flowers are one of the most traditional yet sentimental items you can give. If you don’t like the ideas of flowers, customize the bouquet with fruit or candy.

Create a gift box with cute knick-knacks of their favorite things.

For example candy, puzzles, teas, coffee, coloring books and really anything that makes them happy

If they are a book lover…

…send them books that remind you of them whether it’s by the title, color, genre it doesn’t matter, and write little notes to go with each. 

Send her multiple gifts…

…or notes and tell her that she has to open them at specific times throughout the day so she has something to look forward to all day long.

Watch a movie together!

Netflix Party is a way that allows multiple people to watch a movie together in different places. It syncs up your devices and gives you a space to chat and enjoy the movie even from different states. This is a great way to spend some time together on this special day. 

Lastly, send texts throughout the day.

If you can’t call, text! 

If you are able to do one or all of these things then fantastic!!! But if you can’t, don’t worry, just make sure you appreciate and celebrate your mom and the other special woman you have in your life. Tell them how much you love them and how grateful you are to have them in your life. Even if you tell them every day, make them feel even MORE special on this Mother’s Day.

Hello! Melanie is from Southern California, more especially Indio & yes, that is where Coachella Fest is located. She is majoring in Journalism with a focus in Public Relations as well as perusing a minor in Women and Gender Studies and another minor in Art History. She enjoys going to the gym, listening to podcasts and watching youtube. Some of her favorite things in life are interior designing/decorating, coffee, plants and astrology. LOL what a Leo :)