How to Avoid a Hangover on Halloweekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

So you drank too many  White Claws, took too far of a dip into the Halloween punch and now you’re suffering the consequences. How is one supposed to live it up on Halloweekend and still function during the daytime? As someone who is quite fond of living their best life, and still maintaining a healthy-ish lifestyle, I have just the advice for your upcoming Halloweekend nights.

Use water as a chaser!

Even though you may be peeing a lot throughout the night, don’t think that alcohol is hydrating you. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it flushes the water from your body. Make sure you’re replenishing your water levels by having at least one glass of water in between each drink.

Sloooow down on the sugary drinks:

Although alcoholic beverages are much easier to consume when they have sugar, your body doesn’t agree! Alcohol is not only irritating your liver, but the lining of your stomach as well. When you add sugary substances, such as fructose, your stomach only gets more irritated. This results in a long night by the toilet- total buzzkill.

Eat those complex carbs!:

By keeping food in your system, alcohol gets more easily absorbed, especially if you eat certain types of food like complex carbs. Complex carbs include potatoes, bananas, and lots of whole grains. Whole grain wheat toast or sandwiches with whole grain bread are a great option for this! So yes, tonight carbs are your friend.

It’s easy to over do it when alcohol is involved. If you’re able to remember these three pieces of advice, I can promise your body will feel significantly better the next morning. This advice offers you a way to prevent hating yourself the next day, while still allowing you to enjoy the spooky moments of the night. Make sure to drink safely and act responsibly. Happy Halloween!

Madison Andrade is a senior studying Political Science at Arizona State University. Her favorite pastimes are reading, playing piano and rough-housing with her Great Dane puppies! She aspires to make a positive change in one person's life, every day. If you have any questions for Madison, feel free to email her at: maandra3@asu.edu.