This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Historical Romance is a broad category of fiction where plots take place in a setting located in the past. I have decided to list a few books that I have read myself and that I highly recommend if you have a thing for Historical Romance. Each of these books is witty and leaves you longing for a man to call you his darling, sweetling, lass or even his Sassenach. Nothing quite leaves you wanting then a chivalrous imaginary man who makes real men pale in comparison to him. Feel free to give them all a read or simply skip to the ones you find most thrilling. I shall continue reading more series and would be happy to recommend more to anyone who asks.

Series to Read:

Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon 

Brief Description: Follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world in which her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate relationship is ignited that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Number of Books: 9

Order of Series: Outlander, Dragon Fly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, An Echo in the Bone, Written in My Own Hearts Blood, and Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone.

Notable Quotes: 

“Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone, I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One. I give ye my spirit, ‘til our Life shall be done.” – Jamie Fraser

“I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.” – Jamie Fraser

A Highland Guard Novel by Monica McCarty

Brief Description: Handpicked by Robert the Bruce to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule, the Highland Guard is an elite fighting force unlike any the world has ever seen. They are the best of the best, chosen for their superior skills in each discipline of warfare. As the tides of war turn, one elite warrior is all that stands between victory and defeat.

Number of Books: 12

Order of Series: The Chief, The Hawk, The Ranger, The Viper, The Saint, The Recruit, The Hunter, The Knight, The Raider, The Arrow, The Striker, The Rock, The Rogue, and The Ghost.

Notable Quotes

“She deserved someone who could see what she had to give and would lover her for it. Who wouldn’t turn away from her every time she made a mistake. She wanted to be important to someone. Perhaps, it was unrealistic, but the alternative was far worse. She could live with a broken heart, but not at the expense of her soul.” ― Monica McCarty, The Chief

“She’d loved him too much and given too much of herself away in the process. She had given him everything and never demanded anything in return. Why was she surprised that when she finally did, he refused?” – Monica McCarty, The Knight

Broadswords and Ballrooms Series by Christy English

Brief Description: Nothing ever goes as planned.

Number of Books: 4

Order of Series: How to Train Your Highlander, How to Bed a Baron, How to Seduce a Scot and How to Wed a Warrior.

Notable Quotes:

“A foolproof plan to avoid marriage: 1. Always carry at least three blades. 2. Ride circles around any man. 3. Never get caught in a handsome duke’s arms.” – Christy English, How to Train your Highlander

“The plan is simple: 1. Descend from the Highlands to face the aggravation of a London Season; 2. Foist his wild sister off on some gullible English lord; 3. Retreat before the ladies of the scandalized ton can get any ideas.” -Christy English, How to Seduce a Scot

“Reasons to quit London: 1. It’s not the Highlands. 2. It will never be the Highlands. 3. It’s full of the bloody English.” – Christy English, How to Wed a Warrior

The Survivor’s Club Series by Mary Balogh

Brief Description: These are the stories of six men and one woman, all severely wounded in one way or another during the Napoleonic Wars before ending up convalescing together at the home of the Duke of Stanbrook. The Proposal is the story of Hugo Emes, Lord Trentham. The Suitor, an e-novella, is the story of Julian Crabbe, the duke’s nephew and heir. The Arrangement is Vincent, Viscount Darleigh’s story.

Number of Books: 7

Order of Series: The Proposal, The Suitor, The Arrangement, The Escape, Only Enchanting, Only a Promise, Only a Kiss and Only Beloved.

Notable Quotes:

“When one had once suffered a great hurt, there was always a weakness afterward, a vulnerability where there had been wholeness and strength before – and innocence.”- Mary Balogh, The Proposal

“Living in a house with a large library,” she said, “is a little like living in heaven”- Mary Balogh, The Arrangement

The Westmoreland Saga

Brief Description: Characters from Sequels Series appear in this series as well. 

Number of Books: 4

Order of Series: A Kingdom of Dreams, Whitney, My Love, Until You, Miracles and Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You.

Notable Quotes:

“Some women need no jewels to make them sparkle. You are one of them.”- Royce Westmoreland, A Kingdom of Dreams

“You will soon discover that in matters of the heart, memories are much kinder than reality” – Judith McNaught, Whitney, My Love

Single Books/ Books That Could be a Series:

The Highlander by Elaine Coffman

Brief Description: Reluctantly, Sophie begins to fall in love with the rugged Highlander. Before she can reveal the truth of her past, James discovers her royal connection, and wonders what else she is keeping from him. Can James resist her, or will he defy the might of England and France for a lover as wild and passionate as himself?

Notable Quotes:

“I grow weary of this game where neither of us wins. I want you in my bed. You want to run away. We cannot have it both ways, lass. One of us has to lose.”- Tavish Graham, The Highlander

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Brief Description: A story of untold love between two people who could not be more different than one another. 

Notable Quotes:

“He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

I am a writer with dreams of becoming a novelist. I would not necessarily say that writing comes easy to me but I do spend an awful lot of time doing it. Life experiences fuel my pieces and most are written with the intent to educate or lead people in the right direction. I am not only a writer I am also: a dog-mom, granddaughter, daughter, sister, niece and aunt. I find that it is important for people to know that the person who wrote what they are reading is as human as they are. I hope you enjoy my work and I encourage you to like, comment and share your views.
Kathleen Leslie is a freshman at Arizona State University, studying political science and communications. She was born in August, (a typical Leo), in Chicago, Illinois but has since moved all over the world. Though, she considers Australia and Orange County, California, her home. Kathleen is a part of the 'I Am That Girl' club on ASU's campus and in addition, works as a communications aide for ASU. In her free time, she likes to shop, sail and hang out with friends, (hoping it always involves something with food). Kathleen Leslie is also the current campus correspondent for Her Campus ASU.