Life > Experiences

Having A Guy Best Friend, What’s that Like?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Everyone talks about how girls and guys can’t be friends because eventually someone catches feelings. But in my experience it’s the complete opposite.

I’ve known my best friend since I was 10 years old. We’ve watched each other grow up and have been there for each other through the weirdest phases in each other’s lives. He’s been there for me for every time I cried over a boy, laughed at my dumb mistakes, and cheered me on from the sixth grade up until when I left for college.

I honestly can’t imagine my life without him. He’s seen my lowest lows and my highest highs. If I had to bet my life on anyone knowing me best, sorry mommy but it would be him.

Even when he didn’t want to be, he has always been my biggest fan. We have definitely had our fair share of fights and friendship breaks, but I’ve learned that anything valuable is worth fighting for. Our friendship is priceless because our dynamic is so unique, but we also push one another to grow. I go to him when I feel insecure in any aspect and he reminds me of who I am, what I believe and where I come from. He comes to me for comfort and knows that I’m a safe place away from the world where he can just speak his mind and not worry about what anyone thinks.

He is my platonic soulmate.

He knows when I’m upset from the slightest change in my tone and he can even detect when I’m waiting to tell him something. He has always been there for me and I could never repay him.

Everyone has that one friend that has impacted their life immensely. For me, that friend just happens to be a guy. As the years go on our friendship changes; we went from seeing each other everyday to going to different high schools and now we live almost 900 miles apart, but we’ve never been closer. I can’t wait to see where we both end up, but either way all I know is that he’s going to be at my wedding, probably as my man of honor, and I’ll be at his.

Daria is an Arizona State University graduate with a degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Walter Cronkite School. She was the Chapter Leader of Her Campus at ASU from fall 2018 to spring 2021 and is excited to start the next chapter of her life.