This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Beautiful, bouncy, shiny, and healthy… these are the words that we often use to describe our #hairgoals. But the reality is that it can be very difficult to accomplish those goals, especially when it seems like there are endless products and recommendations circulating.

So many times the advice that we receive is in conflict with previous information, like is it bad to wash your hair every day? But wait don’t overuse dry shampoo! Conditioner or shampoo first? All this advice can drive a girl crazy and make her consider the drastic step of just maybe chopping it all off.

Over the past few years I have found that everyone’s hair care routine is different and honestly that is OK. You have to do what works for you and your hair type but what follows are some helpful tips that I have picked up over the past few years and wish that I could go back and tell my younger self.

Your hair needs some extra love just like your skin!

In the summer and winter with exposure to harsher weather my hair gets so dry but instead of doing anything for it I used to just put it in a bun. After talking with a girl who has my absolute dream hair I realized that a hair mask was the solution. Hair masks are great for days that you go to the beach or pool and will already have your up, not to mention it adds a protectant for if you get in the water. The mask itself doesn’t have to be anything special, although I am in love with an argan oil-based mask (smells like heaven), just make sure to cover all your hair. Concentrate the conditioner from midshaft to the ends where your hair needs the most love and consider doing a face mask as the same time for some extra self-love!

A little dry shampoo never hurt anyone.

Listen my hair stylist might kill me for saying this but sometimes life is messy and your hair is too! So just use dry shampoo. I would suggest trying to get one that is a bit gentler and not too powdery so that you can brush it in easily. Honestly, one of my favorite things is when dry shampoo is scented and makes you feel way more together than you did 10 minutes ago. If you are going on day 5 hair maybe skip another layer of dry shampoo and just embrace the dirty hair for an ultra-slicked back bun or ponytail.

Embrace your natural texture!

It took me a long time to accept that my hair is stick straight and curling it every day is very damaging (looking at you, high school me). As I have gotten a little older and wiser I have come to embrace the sleek nature of my hair and how easy it is to manage. That being said if there is a special occasion and you style your hair with heat make sure to use heat protectant! Heat protectant helps seal the cuticle and will make your final look more polished while keeping your hair healthy.

Last but not least, it’s your hair so do whatever you want!

This past month I dyed the ends of my hair bright pink after years of being too afraid to do so. It was an empowering experience and one that was completely outside of my comfort zone; however, if not now then when. Your hair is an extension of you so experiment with any style.

A student at ASU majoring in Education Studies as well as Business (Public Service and Public Policy). Loving everything that has to do with education, she believes in empowering future generations to be changemakers. She is bibliophile with a weakness for all lipsticks (especially pink).