Habits for a Happier You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

In the midst of COVID-19 it can seem like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There are no more days of the week, there is no distinction between “work” and “after work,” and over time is just non-existent. In such a weird and unstructured period it can be difficult to get through each day, much less consider what life will look like in the future. However, here are some habits that you can implement in your daily life to maintain your mental health. Post-quarantine you will thank you!

Take some time to yourself

The idea of productivity takes on a new meaning now that we might have extra time. But no matter how much you are or aren’t getting done, don’t forget to take some time to yourself- you deserve it. Don’t try to multitask your way to relaxation (am I watching Netflix while eating icecream while writing this?…) Really take time to stop and clear your mind. Maybe take a walk, run a bath, or meditate. 

Process your feelings

I was scared of keeping a diary for a long time. My thoughts sound so silly, and they sound even sillier written down. But who cares! Keep a diary just for your thoughts- it really does help to get everything out of your head and onto paper. If you don’t know exactly what you’re feeling or why, just pay attention to what you’re writing about the most and that might hold your answer.

Record your life

Even though it may seem like nothing is happening right now, that’s not true. You might be bonding with your family, making new friends virtually, or just getting to know yourself. Your life hasn’t totally stopped, so don’t act like it has. Take pictures, write poems, or tape mementos into your diary during this period. 

Read a book

If you’re anything like me, it’s been hard to find the time to read for fun basically since the beginning of college. It doesn’t matter what genre you read- just go for it! One chapter a day or a few pages a day is totally doable and a good place to start. I bet that before you know it one chapter will turn into four and your sleep schedule will be even worse than it was before. Worth it!

Brush up on communication skills (reach out to friends)

We obviously have every right to feel lonely right now. You might be totally down in the dumps because you have no invites to virtual game nights or happy hours. But friendship is a two way street. Odds are that your friends feel exactly the same as you- reach out to them! Remember; if you want something done, just do it yourself. 

In the end, it’s okay if you don’t know how to feel or what to do right now. But putting in the effort to maintain just a few good habits will keep you healthier and happier in the long run.

Madeline is a junior studying English at Arizona State University. She was raised in California but now calls Arizona home. Some of her hobbies are reading, writing, and taking really long walks through parks with beautiful scenery.