jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Get Past Procrastination: The Mel Robbins 5 Second Rule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

“If you can count to five you can change your life,”Mel Robbins.

Earlier this year I was at a conference where I was heard Mel Robbins give a keynote speech about the five second rule and how it has changed her life. Her life was falling apart, and then she saw a rocket take off and “5…4…3…2…1” the five second rule was born.

During her speech she explained the concept of u coming up with a thought and within five seconds you will start coming up with excuses to not do what you want to. The five second rule changes your brain from making those excuses and gives you the chance to go and do it. “5…4…3…2…1 and go!” And just like that the five second rule takes out your excuses to go and act on the thought you had just a mere five seconds before.

The five second rule seemed so simple, yet so complicated at the same time. When I got home from the conference, I started implementing this rule into my life. it. Finals were quickly approaching, and I needed to study, “5…4…3…2…1” and off I was to the library.

I was in need of a morning workout, and before I could change my mind, I told myself to go and without a second thought grabbed my gym bag and went to the gym.

It was a beautiful day out and I wanted to take some photographs, and before I could fill my mind with doubt, I used the five second rule and was off to tackle a hiking trail and captured some photographs.

As the start of your semester approaches, let the five second rule stop you from procrastinating and instead implement the confidence to conquer what is ahead. Whether it be papers, presentations, homework, quizzes or exams, “5…4…3…2…1 and go!”

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.