courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

There’s so many things to love about this holiday! There’s the amazing weather, nice cozy clothes, family time, oh and not to mention the food. It’s also another excuse for me to blow up  my best friend Thalia’s and Luis’ phones with calls, texts, and posts of why I’m grateful to have them in my life.

Honestly, a simple thank you to my best friends is not enough for everything they have done to make me so happy. Simply checking into our Instagram group chat makes me super cheerful; we share the funniest things on there like memes about our stressful student lives. I know my day is about to be a 20 out of 10 when I open that chat, especially when I see shared music videos of the Weeknd and Drake on there! This immediately puts me in the mood to put music on and take on the day. If I didn’t have my friends, the motivation to go about my day wouldn’t be the same. They make my day infinitely better.

Their friendship also means so much when I think about my college experience. Things wouldn’t be possible without their support along the way. We can all understand that the college world can sometimes be a very lonely path of self-discovery, but when you have friends that stand next to you when you’re feeling lost and worried, it can really make a difference . Being caught up with classes, work, and internships can be a lot to take in, especially when you feel like nobody’s watching or when you feel overwhelmed and don’t know who to turn to for advice. Everything that I’ve accomplished in my life so far hasn’t been something I‘ve done alone. There have been times in my college career where I’ve felt like quitting, but thanks to the words of encouragement that I heard from my friends, I managed to push right through.

My friends have reminded me of these three things during my college years:

• Stand up for yourself, don’t let others take advantage of you.
  • It’s okay to take time off to think and feel. Soon you’ll be ready to tackle the world again.
  • If you want something and it makes you happy, go for it.

I carry these little phrases with me daily, and although I haven’t fully internalized them, I can say they have made me stronger and more confident. These pieces of advice are a true gift from my friends, which I am grateful for because it shows that they genuinely care and want the best for me. I believe that when someone helps you become a better version of yourself so that you can be happy, it’s a million times more meaningful than any physical gift they could have given you. The fact that my friends take the time out of their day to listen to me when I feel concerned about the future means a lot to me, even if we don’t see each other on a regular basis because we’re busy working and going to school. Distance doesn’t change our friendship because we’re only a call or text away. This Thanksgiving goes to my best friends; friendship really is the greatest gift life can give you and it’s important to appreciate your friends all year round. I hope everyone has a HAPPY THANKSGIVING with close friends that give life more meaning!!!

Karina Espinoza Rios is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Arizona State University. Her dream is to become a borderlands and arts reporter, but she would also like to pursue becoming an anchor for a talk show or for a local news station. Growing up in Phoenix, Arizona has empowered her to want to become an inspiration specifically for her community and aims to leave a mark in this place that has given her so much. She loves FASHION! And in her free time she enjoys spending time with her friends, reading books, and listening to music. Thrilled to be part of HerCampus, Karina is ready to explore her creative writing skills as she’s mostly worked with video and if you have any story ideas she is always open for an adventure! Feel free to contact her here: kespino6@asu.edu