Wellness

Empowerment Through Body Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Empowerment means feeling confident in yourself and what you can do. Yet, it can be difficult to feel confident if you are insecure. In my experience, I mostly lack confidence when I compare myself to others, especially in terms of body image. Whether it’s on TikTok, Instagram, or in person, it’s easy to feel envious of others and how they look. Compared to those people, you may feel like you’re not enough and begin to doubt your self-worth. However, society’s unrealistic standards of beauty do not and should not define you. Being body positive will empower you.

different body types in black leotards
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels
Unfortunately, we live in a world that valorizes our bodies and appearance. Thinness and white privilege further complicate this issue because certain sized and colored bodies are often criticized, with society only recognizing certain body types as beautiful. Consequently, those people deemed worthy of positive attention may receive special treatment, fame, or un-equal importance, creating pretty privilege.

When the world is against you, being body positive can be easier said than done. Despite this, society cannot determine your value as long as you don’t let it. You can be just as successful, if not moreso, than people with pretty privilege. You must realize your self-worth and not let others define it.

Whenever you catch yourself comparing yourself to others, it’s important to remember that the “perfect” body does not really exist. Beauty is subjective. The majority of what you see online is most likely Facetuned, filtered, or fake anyway, making reaching these beauty standards unattainable. Don’t let others make you feel insecure, you are in control. If someone is making you feel bad, then drop or unfollow them. Surround yourself with positivity. Once you feel good about yourself, you will feel more empowered in your actions.

love yourself written on a sidewalk
Photo by Michelle Bonkosky from Unsplash
One way to be body positive is to give and receive compliments. Complimenting others makes it known that each body is equally beautiful. If you don’t bring others down, then chances are they won’t bring you down either. Receiving compliments can boost confidence significantly. Personally, I am very insecure, so when I posted a bikini picture of myself on Instagram for the first time, I was terrified of how it would be received. Thankfully, the comments were so positive and I had never felt better about my body. Now, I’m not saying that everyone has to post a bikini picture online to feel empowered, but I am saying that girls supporting girls is essential to bringing about universal woman empowerment.

Rather than dwelling on how you think you should look, recognize that you’re a bad bitch no matter what society may say. Be body positive to empower yourself and others.

Ashlyn Robinette is an Arizona State University and Her Campus ASU alumnus. She received her B.A. in journalism and mass communication with a minor in digital audiences from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, and Barrett, The Honors College.