Culture > News

Earthquake In Morocco: Here’s How You Can Help 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Late on Friday night, Sept. 8, a 6.8-magnitude earthquake ravaged Morocco’s High Atlas Mountains. It is the deadliest earthquake to strike Morocco in over a century, killing more than 2,000 people, critically injuring hundreds and displacing thousands.

The death toll is expected to rise as rescue teams struggle to reach the hard-hit remote areas. This is due to the difficult mountainous terrain and fallen debris blocking roads

“There is no one here to help pull the dead from under the destruction,” a woman living near the High Atlas Mountains told CNN. “The village is in very bad condition.” 

The earthquake also toppled houses, mosques, historic landmarks and other buildings in villages near the mountains as well as in Marrakesh, the nearest major city to the epicenter. Widespread destruction has left thousands of families without access to adequate shelter, food, water and medical attention. 

Soon after the devastating news broke, several countries offered humanitarian aid and support to Morocco, including the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Spain, France and the United States. In addition, Morocco’s King Mohammed VI swiftly launched emergency measures to search for survivors and distribute assistance to victims. 

If you’re financially capable, one of the most effective ways to help those affected by this tragedy is by donating — just a few dollars can go a long way in helping save lives.

To send necessities as well as to support the rescue and recovery efforts, here is a list of trustworthy organizations. Always double-check any donation links you might come across on social media.

1. Moroccan Red Crescent Society teams are working with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to provide urgent medical care, psychological support and emergency transportation services. You can help their emergency response here
  1. Human Appeal is a British international charity organization that organized this emergency fund to offer food, clean water and other basic needs across the region. 
  1. Global Giving, a non-profit organization based in the U.S., is accepting donations to give out essential supplies, support ongoing search and rescue operations and later contribute to any needed rebuilding efforts. 

Another way to take action is by reaching out to your elected officials. Send them an email or give them a call asking them to support the humanitarian efforts. Visit USA.gov to get the relevant contact information of your local, state and federal elected officials. 

Finally, the best way to make a difference is by staying informed on what’s happening. Keep up with the latest news updates from well-known outlets like Reuters and Al Jazeera, including local ones like the Maghreb Arabe Press and Morocco World News

To avoid falling for misinformation on social media, follow reliable local news sources. Moroccan digital media company Hespress English on Instagram and Facebook is a great source regularly sharing factual and simple information on the developing crisis. 

Remember, even as a college student, your contributions, big or small, are critical to bringing relief to the people of Morocco.