felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Dormspiration: Tips for Decorating An Aesthetic Looking Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Recently I’ve been in love with move-in day vlogs, room tour videos, and room transformations. I will also admit that I may have also been scrolling Pinterest, Instagram, VSCO, and Tumblr because I love going to these platforms when I’m in need of decoration inspiration. How to make them dreamy, #RoomGoals, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

After all your dorm should be somewhere that you’re comfortable in, is personalized and overall makes you happy. For me personally, I’ve found that I thrived, flourished, and was so much happier once I really made my dorm my own.

So below I compiled a list of items and helpful tips for decorating an aesthetically pleasing dorm.

Pick a Color Palette

When it comes to choosing a color palette it’s best to have one to three colors that go well together and an accent color. By limiting the number of colors you choose it helps to make sure nothing clashes and that the decor in your room goes well together.

Or Pick a Theme

Your Twin XL bed believe it or not is going to take up a lot, if not the majority, of space in your dorm so it best to not fight it but instead embrace it. Bedding is nice because you can use the colors in it to base your decor off of or to find decor that compliments.

Make Your bed the Center of Attention

Use Personal Memorabilia Like Polaroids and Pictures

This helps make a space your own while also making you feel more at home. By having pictures of your friends, families, and favorite memories available for you to look at when you’ve had a stressful day or just need that little boost of happiness is comforting.

Tapestries

Tapestries come in so many varieties and sizes and are great when it comes to establishing a theme in your room. They can help to bring everything together.

Collages

Collages add so much of your personality and essence to your space. There’s also a lot of freedom involved with what you choose to include in the collage and how you choose to arrange it.

Round Mirrors

Mirrors make a room look bigger, and dorms are normally small in size. So adding a round mirror helps to make your dorm feel a little more spacious while also functioning as a piece of decor. Depending on where you place your mirror you could also use it as a vanity mirror to do your makeup in.

Fake Plants

You can never go wrong by adding a fake plant to your space. They’re cute, and you since don’t have to water them you don’t have to worry about them dying.

Use Marble Contact Paper on Surfaces Like Your Desk

Not only is this removable, but it makes any boring desk look so much more classy.

Letter Board

Letter Boards are great because they are customizable and display your favorite quote, saying, lyric, or anything really.

String Lights

I adore string lights. They look so pretty and compliment the decor of any dorm. 

Strip Lights

Ah, these are amazing, to say the least. Usually, they are found on Amazon and come in color-changing varieties. They’re nice to turn on at night when you’re studying or just chilling, watching Netflix. They’re a lot easier on the eye and are nicer to have turned on ah opposed to fluorescent lighting usually found in dorms.

Don’t Be Afraid to Add Large Wall Art Pieces in Small spaces

Large wall art pieces are nice because they take up a lot of space but add a lot of personality and can function as statement pieces.

Flower DIY

This DIY is adorable because it adds femininity and daintiness to any space. It looks cute, and is also a great background for photos or facetime calls with the fam.

Wire Grids

These are great because they look nice but are also purposeful and functional. All sorts of things from pictures, sticky notes, jewelry, to paper and more can be clip to these grids. 

Himalayan salt lamp

This lamp isn’t boring like generic table lamps and it adds a cute touch of pink to any room. Not only that but there are articles all over online with the proven health benefits to owning a Himalayan salt lamp.

Less is More

I really can’t stress this one enough – dorm rooms aren’t big spaces especially when you’re living with a roommate. So when it comes down to decorating it’s best not to over-do it, because then the dorm will feel cluttered. Less really is more.

Lastly, own your space girl and be the productive thriving queen you already are!

We hope you enjoyed these tips and if you decide to use any of them we’d love to see your beautiful space. So feel free to tweet us a pic of your dorm at @HerCampusASU. Happy decorating girlies and good luck with this upcoming year of college.

Angel Jimenez studies Journalism at Arizona State University with a minor in Studio Art. She is passionate about storytelling and pays great attention to her work. Angel's other hobbies include creating art. In her free time, she loves to drink a cup of coffee or hot chocolate with her friends.