This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Fear the fork. No pity for the kitty. Forget turkey, I’m having wildcat for Thanksgiving dinner. ASU students are constantly bombarded with reminders of our rivalry with the University of Arizona. But for me, the rivalry hits a little closer to home.

(Photo courtesy of bkstr.com)

Like many other proud Sun Devils, my home plays host to a member of the feline variety. That’s right, my little brother is a proud Arizona Wildcat. 

So what does this mean for a Sun Devil like myself? It means that when you help move your brother into his freshman dorm, you have to endure comments about “the best university in the state,” with a smile and your pitchfork high.

(Photo courtesy of pinterest.com)

When your political science professor declares, “The only good Wildcat is a dead Wildcat!” you guiltily think that there is at least one good Wildcat.

Your mom has a sticker on the back of her car that says, “The House Divided”.

When you talk about your brother, you always fondly say, “He goes to U of A, but I love him anyway.”

This is the message on the chalkboard in your apartment.

When he tells his friends he has a sister that goes to ASU, he says, “They give me that two second disapproving look and said, ‘Oh…’”

When my dad wants to buy a hat from a university, he has to restrain himself in order to keep us both happy.

(Photo courtesy of myfoxphoenix.com)

He has sat through ASU baseball games, but adamantly refuses to take a picture with Sparky.

He is all too excited to point out which school has the most overall victories in football, basketball, and baseball.

When he came home from the Territorial Cup game last year, and you asked how it went, all he said was “I don’t want to talk about it.”

(Photo courtesy of territorialcup.com)

You know how to banter about the Territorial Cup, which team and which school is better, but you know that no matter the outcome, half your family will be happy.

Corina is a current junior at Arizona State University, studying Journalism and Human Communication. She enjoys writing, sports, reading, and spending time with her lionhead rabbit, Dusty.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.