Coming Home for Fall Break as told by Chandler Bing from Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Fall Break is the best for so many reasons. No class, no tests to worry about, nowhere to be, it’s literally perfection. It’s even better when your parents let you come home for the four days where you can do all of the above in the comfort of your own home!

When you enter through the front door and it’s like the queen has returned. You are now ready for a weekend full of R&R.

However, you realize that your room has been turned into an exercise/office for your parents even though you’ve been gone for less than 2 months. Now you have to drag out your mattress (sans frame) and plop it into the room. Now you pray that you aren’t woken up by your dad on the elliptical.

But hey, you get your own room with no roommates (yaassss). There’s not another person in the room stressing you out with homework or constantly on the phone. Now you can blast Justin Timberlake and dance around your room like a loon because YOU CAN. Just be careful because you never know when a sibling or parent will walk in and see you dancing because that will cause some embarrassment and possible blackmail.

When’s the last time you had a little me time? It’s time to get this R&R vaycay rolling and what’s better than kicking it off with a bath? Get some bath salts, fancy soaps, candles and soothing music to make your troubles disappear. Bringing food will make the bath experience 1,000 times better too.

It’s like a long, slow motion, Nicolas Sparks-esque run to the fridge. Oh, how you have longed for the days to see such a beauty like real food that isn’t found at the dining halls. The homemade meals that your mom makes are so freaking amazing and you can’t believe you used to complain about her cooking. It’s just that you’ve missed real food SO MUCH.

It’s all fun and games until your mom’s friends swing by and start asking you a billion questions about college life (it’s because they want to feel young again and miss their college days). Soon you get sucked into hearing how Denise’s son is doing at his school and how great his life is (even though you know Denise’s son is playing PlayStation literally everyday).

It’s Sunday night and all you want to is watch Netflix and cuddle with your dog but no, your mom surprises you with a family dinner at Grandma’s. Queue the million college questions and the constant guilt about why you haven’t called your grandmother. Besides the home cooked food, you really want to go, but your mom doesn’t care because you need to have “family time,” and Netflix isn’t a priority.

Your parents bring you to the airport but you try to wait until they leave to start crying because you are an adult. However, you can’t hold it back and just start bawling right by check in. It was a great decision to come back home because you never knew how much you missed everything until now. You are starting to count down the days till your back for Thanksgiving because you can’t wait.

Studying journalism at Arizona State University! I'm a native of Orange County and lover of pop culture, Netflix, and Ben and Jerry's. You can find me at Starbucks talking about Grumpy Cat and my future with Bradley Cooper.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.