Campus Profile: Rj Amzler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Rj Amzler

Major: Aerospace engineering with a concentration in astronautics

Minor: Geological sciences

Gradation date: May 2018

ASU has a strong relationship with NASA. In fact, dozens students are doing research for several different NASA missions. Rj Amzler is one such student. He has been involved with NASA projects and missions for three years now. It all started with the Dust Devils Microgravity Research Team, where he tested their experiment on a zero gravity airplane. Now, he is working on a project called LunaH-Map among graduate and Ph.D. students.

“I’m the mechanical and thermal systems lead. It’s an honor to work on such an ambitious project as an undergraduate. We are one of the first CubeSat missions to leave Earth orbit, and we expect to launch in 2018,” Amzler said. “CubeSates are shoebox-sized satellites, and ours intends to map the hydrogen content of the Moon’s poles.” He was given this opportunity through a NASA program called Space Grant, a program that allows undergraduates to work as interns while staying on ASU campus. Being apart of Space Grant means more than just working on missions. He also has to do community outreach. “It’s important to get the general public, especially kids, interested in space exploration and show them why it is important for everyone. I believe that space exploration pushes the technological boundaries and advances humankind,” he said.

Even though Amzler does community outreach for Space Grant, he has taken initiative and gone a step further to teach the community about the importance of space exploration. He is the founder and president of an ASU club called The Planetary Society @ ASU. It is one of the first university-based chapters of the international Planetary Society headed by CEO Bill Nye. “Bringing a celebrity like Bill Nye to campus last December really helped get the message of science’s importance in daily life,” Amzler said. 

Rj Amzler utilizes his engineering education to areas outside of the space industry as well. “I am part of a team called Miracle Vehicle, and we are currently competing for the Hult Prize. My team and I will be flying to San Francisco over spring break to compete for $1 million in funding from the foundation in order to bring portable refridgeration to developing cities,” he said. With the money, we hope to give developing cities the ability to transport food and medication without it spoiling.  

I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University