Campus Celebrity: Chris Clabaugh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Chris Clabaugh

Major/Minor: Journalism and Mass Communication

Year: Senior

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Humboldt, IA

Why did you choose this major?

I wanted to be the host of Attack of the Show! on G4 so I figured why not go to the greatest journalism school in the country and get some early on-camera experience. Later my freshmen year, G4 was canceled and I lost all direction in life.

Are you involved in anything at school? If yes, what?

I perform with the ASU stand-up troupe Stand Up vs. The World. *begin plug* Friday nights at 9 at the MU under the Taco Bell. *end plug* I have also competed in a variety of intramural sports all four years and came away with the soccer championship last year. 

What are your greatest accomplishments so far?

Freshmen year I won ASU’S Last Comic Standing and was awarded a slot at Stand Up, Scottsdale. My sophomore year we entered the Campus Movie Fest at ASU and I won Best Actor along with our film winning Best Comedy. We entered the Campus Movie Fest again my junior year and we won Best Picture along with Best Actor for the second year in a row.

Best college memory?

Winning Best Actor my sophomore and junior years are my favorite college memories. When G4 went bye-bye, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. I’ve always loved acting since middle school but I never thought I could make a career out of it. After winning the first time I realized there might be something to this and started picking up more projects. The second win really solidified my decision to pursue acting professionally.

Is there anything else you would want to do before graduation?

There are a lot of great restaurants in Phoenix I haven’t tried yet. I would like to go with some friends or take a date to a brand new place.

Any college regrets?

I’ve never been in a serious relationship which I regret. I take my dating life seriously so I don’t even approach a girl unless I know I want a relationship out of it. I almost “pre-screen” the girls I like to see if they’re good girlfriend material, but now I wish I would’ve just acted earlier and then let the relationship grow or die naturally.

What would be your ideal date?

I like the idea of dinner and a movie but it hasn’t felt very natural when I’ve gone that route in the past. I like being around people so I think going to a public event with live music and a lot of food and activities would be fun. There would be a lot to do, which would keep changing things up on a first date.

What’s the first quality you look for in a person, whether it be a new friend or significant other?

I’m really attracted to confident and independent women, which generally makes it’s hard for me to get dates because those girls don’t need a man in their life. I like decisive women who enjoy going out and doing things. I’m usually down for anything so I would like a girl who says things like “Hey let’s go check out the Cinnamon Festival.” And I’d be like, “Let’s do it.”

Favorite food?

I’m a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I love a good, filling, hearty meal.

Favorite movie?

Hitch, hands down. Best romantic comedy of all time.

Celebrity crush(es)?

Where do I begin? Emma Watson, Dianna Agron, Alison Haislip, Rachel McAdams, Jenn Proske. I’ll just stop there, otherwise this list will go on forever. 

What are some of your hobbies/what do you like to do on your spare time?

I love writing comedy and doing stand up. I perform every chance I get. I like to fool around on the soccer field and play pick-up games or go disc golfing. I also used to be very involved in music, but I haven’t played a drum set since coming to college. I would love to get back to it.

Who is/are your biggest influences in life or in your work and why?

I follow everything Kevin Pereira does, which stems from his hosting days at G4. He’s a big inspiration for me in my career branding and when I’m on camera. For my stand-up influences, I really like Jerry Seinfeld. He has such a unique way of looking at the world. I also look to T.J. Miller, who is definitely the most underrated comedian actor today. As far as my acting influences, I like Will Smith and Dustin Hoffman. They both play all genres incredibly well. I also like Shia LaBeouf a lot, regardless of his off-camera shenanigans. He’s been acting his whole life and I think he has one of the most successful career transitions from a child actor.

Do you have a weird talent?

I can make the best damn mac & cheese you’ve ever had.

Biggest pet peeve?

I hate when people have no spacial awareness, like bumping into people or standing in front of a doorway and not realizing there are people behind them trying to get through. Open your eyes!

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

I’d love to be the lead on a tv show. I like the idea of being able to exist as a character for a really long time and would love to be on a long running tv series.

My name is Alejandra Guillen and I am a junior at Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and at Barrett, the Honors College. As most people do, I enjoy sleep, food (especially of the breakfast, gravy and meat varieties), and Ryan Gosling.
Caroline Ortiz is currently a senior at Arizona State University majoring in English Literature with a minor in Film and Media Production. She co-founded the ASU Her Campus branch at her university in the spring of 2013 and is very happy to be a part of the Her Campus team! Apart from being involved with Her Campus, she is the Chief of Staff for ASU's Programming and Activities Board (PAB), a student run organization that strives to give their student body the best Sun Devil experience, Secretary of Las Hermanas of the Hispanic Mother Daughter Program, a club striving to provide a supportive and encouraging environment to University Latinas, a Trendspotter for MTV Insights, and was previously a Cosmopolitan Magazine Campus Representative! When she is not busy studying Literature (which requires reading endless amounts of Norton Editions) participating in PAB, Las Hermanas or crewing for a film, she enjoys her time off reading YA novels, magazine, shopping and brainstorming new and exciting things for HC ASU. Her ultimate goal is to move to a metropolitan city and become an Editor-in-Chief for a publishing house or crewing for a feature film!