Campus Celebrity: Alumni Edition – Ashley Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Ashley Black

Graduation date: May 2015

Age23

Where are you now after graduating college?

I am the marketing administrator for Ryan Companies US, Inc. – a national commercial real estate firm which provides design-build, construction, real estate management and development services. I specifically support all marketing/PR activities in the southwest region; I research target markets, clients and industry trends, write and maintain professional bios, project sheets and project descriptions, etc., work with technical staff to develop proposal sections and scopes of work, update corporate marketing with social media information, coordinate specialized consultants and support the planning and coordinating of special events.

How did Her Campus help you get there? 

Her Campus helped me become a better writer and gave me the opportunity to practice writing in various voices. Being a Her Campus contributor was a great way for me to practice reaching out to strangers, setting up interviews and of course the more you write, the better the writer you become!

Is there anything you regret not doing in college? 

Having more fun! You are only in college once so make the best out of it! Keep up with your studies but make sure you experience some of the ASU culture around you…getting a 4.0 is not a requirement from many companies. Relax a little! J

Funniest college memory?

My funniest college memory would be when I was invited to a Christmas party and was the only one to attend in a full blown Christmas-themed costume!. Remember Legally Blonde? Yep—that was me. Only I wasn’t dressed as a playboy, I was dressed in a full blown Santa outfit. Oh well, I rocked it and people laughed. I’ll never forget that party!

Where was your “study spot?” Club Hayden—the quiet sections and believe it or not, my parent’s house! I’m fortunate to live ten minutes from my folks so during the day when I needed a desk and some quiet time, I crashed my parent’s house and they loved it!

What did you admire most about ASU?

Being a Cronkite Alumna I would have to say I admire CRONKITE STUDENTS AND TEACHERS! I can’t think of a more dedicated, determined and successful program at ASU.

What advice do you have for freshman? 

Freshman year is so important! Build your grade point average up so that you aren’t climbing the rest of your four years in school. Yes, I said have fun earlier but in healthy doses. Also, get involved! I swear it will pay off!

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

I hope that I’m still loving what I am doing, am successful and living in the beautiful state of California! I also hope to have my student loans paid off! Wish me luck!

I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University