Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Recipes You Won’t Regret!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

You know, I’ve never been much of a chef. Heck, I’m one of those people that would burn water if she could. But, boy, does time seem never-ending lately. For years I’ve been meaning to learn a little food magic, but excuses always seemed to get in the way. Now though, I kind of have to learn, don’t I?

Absolutely! Definitely! We’ve gotta be positive.  Let’s face it—learning how to feed ourselves without accidentally poisoning ourselves is kind of a survival skill we should probably know. So sit back and let me take you through a day of recipes!

My mother (bless her) is the best chef I know—no doubt. Recently she taught me a few of her cooking skills, and I thought, why not share? So if you’re in dire need of some new dishes to spice up your breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus, here are some new meals for you to try. I’m a breakfast addict so I especially recommend the first, but maybe I’m a little biased. (Just a little.)

Let’s start!

Breakfast: Huevos con Weenie (Egg with Hot Dog)  

Yes, this probably sounds really weird but it really is good! Trust me, my old roommate and some of my friends didn’t believe it, but I proved them wrong. Plus it’s quick and easy to make. You won’t regret it! So here it goes:

You’ll only need eggs, hot dogs (the quantities for these first two ingredients depend on how many people you are serving; my ratio is a hot dog and half for every two eggs), tortillas, and sour cream (although that last one’s optional).

First, you cut your hot dogs in small pieces while warming a pan with oil.

Check if the pan is hot enough by throwing on one hot dog piece. If it sizzles, you’re good to go and can throw the rest in.

Let the hot dogs sizzle until they look crisp enough and then you can begin cracking your eggs! Mix both together and wait for the eggs to be fully cooked.

While waiting, you can warm up some tortillas on a pan on the side.

Once it’s all done, serve your huevos con weenie with your tortillas. You can either make some breakfast tacos or scoop the hot dog and egg up with pieces of tortilla.

I recommend putting some sour cream on the side or on the tacos. It probably sounds gross for some but it’s SO delicious, trust me!

Just like that, you’re done! Yay!

Lunch: Bocaditos (According to Google, Bocaditos  translates to “snacks” but I refuse to call them that. In my head, they’re Tiny Bites soooo we’re sticking to that.)

You’ll only need a few things: ham, cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and Hawaiian rolls

First, cut one or two slices of ham into pieces (the amount depends on how much you think you can eat) and blend them in a mixer

Next, add a couple of spoons of cream cheese and sprinkles of the cheddar cheese to the mixer and shred away (this is trial-and-error, so taste it afterward and see if it needs to be sweeter or cheesier)

Then open up some of those Hawaiian rolls (I can eat like two) and spread your mix into the bread. 

Andddd that’s it! You’ve got yourself your cute, little sandwiches, ready to eat!

Fun Fact: I actually learned this from one of my friends and discovered this is a Cuban recipe!

Dinner: Bistec Ranchero (Rancher Steak? Sounds Weird but it’s Good, I Promise!)

For this one, you’ll need steak, tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapeños, chicken stock, salt, pepper, one bay leaf, and an optional tortilla. 

First, cut the steak into cubes (once again meat amount varies on your own stomach) while warming up a pan with just a tad bit of oil. 

Once the pan is hot enough, add the steak and as it cooks, sprinkle in some salt and pepper (a pinch or two of each will do). 

Also, add a bay leaf to cook around the steak (for taste). 

On the side, cut the tomato, onion, garlic, and jalapenos into small pieces. 

Once the steak is cooked, throw the vegetables in and stir. 

To add that extra awesomeness, put in just a pinch of chicken stock.

When it looks good and crispy, it’s time to serve yourself! If you’re feeling a breakfast burrito, serve it in a warmed tortilla. If that’s not your style, serve them with some rice or beans on the side.

That’s it!

These recipes are a mix of my mom’s imagination and of course, traditional Latinx plates. Honestly, my mom likes to have fun mixing things so her ingredient measurements aren’t exactly normal. She’s the type to always trust her instincts and have a little fun with her recipes! You might just make it taste even better by adding or subtracting something. That’s what’s so brilliant about cooking! We all have different tastes and the ways of making something are essentially endless. Good luck and stay safe!

Diana Arellano Barajas is a junior at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Arizona State University. She LOVES creating: graphics, animation, video editing, it's all fair game! Originally from a small town in Mexico, Diana currently resides in Phoenix. In her free time, if she isn't found attached to a book, she's writing about everything and anything including experimenting with visual content. Excited to write for HerCampus, Diana's ready to make readers smile, laugh, and possibly cry (in a good way). Feel free to contact her here: dianaarellano753@yahoo.com