This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Happy Black History Month!

Black History Month is observed during the month of February and solely celebrates the achievements and culture of African Americans. Not only should black people be celebrated, but black women specifically should be recognized for their immense contribution to society. Some notable black women include Beyoncé, Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Serena Williams and more. These women may be household names, but the following are black women you may want to keep your eye on in the future.

Kamala Harris is an African American politician who recently announced she will be running for president in the upcoming 2020 election. Harris grew up in a predominantly African American community, with an Indian mother and Jamaican father. She eventually got an undergraduate degree in political science, and soon after graduated from Hastings College of the Law. Later on in life Harris gained a Democratic spot in the Senate, and ever since she has worked her way up the ladder; now she is running for the most powerful position in the United States. Talk about girl power.

Ava Duvernay is an African American film director, producer, and screenwriter. She became the first black woman to win a Sundance award for her film, Middle of Nowhere in 2012. On top of this, she also became the first black woman to be Oscar-nominated for Best Picture. She also became the first black woman to be given a $100 million budget for an upcoming film. In an occupation surrounded by men, Duvernay overcame all obstacles based on not only her race but her gender as well. Now that’s inspirational.

Not only did these women inspire future generations of girls through their work , they also defied racial stereotypes in order to become huge successes . One of the most difficult things to accomplish in today’s world is overcoming systemic barriers, and these women are powerful examples of what it means to do so. We celebrate these strong female role models, and look forward to seeing you, black women of the future.

Madison Andrade is a senior studying Political Science at Arizona State University. Her favorite pastimes are reading, playing piano and rough-housing with her Great Dane puppies! She aspires to make a positive change in one person's life, every day. If you have any questions for Madison, feel free to email her at: maandra3@asu.edu.
Daria is an Arizona State University graduate with a degree in Journalism & Mass Communication from the Walter Cronkite School. She was the Chapter Leader of Her Campus at ASU from fall 2018 to spring 2021 and is excited to start the next chapter of her life.