This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Women’s orgasms are being talked about more nowadays than ever before. There’s this myth going around that men know how to please a woman and how to make her orgasm. The “shocking” reality, however, is that this isn’t true.

A study from the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction researched what percentage of women and men orgasm. The study found that “heterosexual men and gay men both experience orgasm about 85 percent of the time. Heterosexual women reach orgasm at a rate of almost 62 percent, while for lesbian women, orgasm occurs nearly 75 percent of the time.” There have been multiple other studies done that prove women are less likely to peak compared to men during sex. Men’s orgasms are equally important, however their incidence is not the main issue. In comparison to women, it is much easier for men to reach completion when having penetrative sex. . Women can reach completion from a variety of sexual activities, however, penetration is not usually the fastest way to orgasm.

Are lesbians experiencing better sex than straight couples? Based on the study from Kinsey Institute, yes, lesbians are reaching completion more frequently than heterosexual couples. This has been a popular topic in the media over the past few years. Realistically, women know what other women like, leading to an overall better sex experience. The same thing applies to homosexual male couples. They tend to know what the same sex likes. On social media, people tend to make fun of heterosexual couple’s sex lives by labeling their sexual relationship  “vanilla”, a negative stigma which is only reinforced by the data that show straight women don’t often reach completion with a man when having penetrative sex.

Using sex toys in the bedroom isn’t as scary as people think. Many men are afraid of women using these objects because they fear she may like it better than anything he could ever provide. Some may feel insecure and not like the idea that a woman needs something else besides him to help her reach completion. It’s also important to know what you like, if toys are going to be involved. Experiment with yourself first and find things that you like before bringing them into the bedroom.

It’s perfectly fine to do some experimenting alone before getting another person involved. The most important thing to remember is that you should be selfish with your orgasms and what makes you feel good.

Marissa is attending Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and majoring in Mass Communication and Media Studies. When she’s not writing or reading, she’s snowboarding and traveling.