This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

This Thanksgiving was my first vegan holiday, and I think it went really well. The butternut squash soup I made was delicious and everyone, even the non-vegans, loved it. Oh, were you not expecting that? Did you want me to tell you that it was difficult and that the holidays are a barren wasteland for those of us with a plant-based diet? Well, it is strange. I mean, there’s a giant dead bird sitting in front of you the whole time, but it’s nothing that you won’t be able to handle. Here’s a couple of tips of how to make everything go smoothly.

1. If you aren’t hosting, offer to bring a side dish.

This ensures that you have something to eat, as well as showing people that vegans eat really freaking good food too. Also, from my experience, the host of the dinner might throw in a vegan dish as well. Not everyone is heartless.

2. If you are hosting, you are completely within your bounds to ask people to bring a vegan side.

If this daunts people, just tell them they can bring salad or some fruit. Those who are comfortable with it might have some fun veganizing old favorites.

3. Don’t talk about your diet at the table.

I’m serious don’t do it. You can share your points of view away from the food, so save it. I personally think it’s very rude, not to mention it will always make both parties feel uncomfortable. Being a snob won’t make everyone change to a vegan diet faster, and having their way of eating insulted will probably deter them from veganism all together.

4. Don’t succumb to guilt

“Oh, you don’t want to try the XYZ and Aunt Whoever worked so hard on?” No, I don’t eat XYZ anymore. I’m sure it’s delicious but now there will be more for everyone else. The first year is weird and you’ll repeat yourself a lot, but stand your ground and remember to zip it until after the meal.

5. Give back

If you were invited somewhere for dinner, and the host went out of their way to cook a special vegan side just for you, help them clean up. You should do this anyway but especially during the holiday’s when things are so hectic.

You will disagree with people about your diet, it’s going to happen, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are times when you can get together with your family and get away from school. Don’t spend time dwelling on everyone’s eating habits, you can recruit other times.

Who Am I? I am a woman that God made, sustains, and loves. I am a woman stumbling in the darkness of this world, blinded by my anxiety and fear. I am tripping over flat ground and running into walls society has built for me because I am an introvert who needs to come out of the shell I feel perfectly fine in. I am a college student alone in a state I am unfamiliar with, thrown into this strange world of responsibility without my parents to guide me. I am a child, wide eyed and innocent, constantly asking the same questions over and over because my mind doesn't understand. I am Veronica, a woman in love with her God and the red rocks of the deserts and the mountain air he created.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.