Style

Accessories Are a Girl’s Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

The song says, “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend”, but that’s not completely true when it comes to the world of a fashionista–that is, unless it’s a diamond necklace that compliments a dress. It’s actually the “accessories” that are a girl’s best friend! Have you ever noticed how vibrant an outfit becomes when you add a belt, scarf, or long earrings with it? You definitely elevate its game, but not only that, you reveal part of your personality (and there’s no better way to express yourself than through fashion)! It’s a strong style statement, so let it speak for you when you walk out the door.

The best thing about accessories is that they never go out of style, even if the season changes, because you can match them with any outfit. Think about this: if you have a silk scarf, you can wear it in the winter under a wool peacoat without hiding it’s patterns or color.  But guess what? You can also wear it in the summer over a muscle shirt or even with an off-the-shoulder blouse. It’s also important to use accessories because they make your outfit standout–especially if you’re wearing dark colors. For example, if you decide to wear a long sleeve black mini dress you might want to add some bright-colored jewelry to give more definition to the dress.

If you’re heading to work or school with just a top, bottoms, and shoes on, think twice before you leave and search your room for a few accessories. Here’s a list of eye-catching additions that can change your whole outfit:

• Jewelry
  • Scarf
  • Hat
  • Belt
  • Gloves
  • Sunglasses
  • Hair clips
  • Purses
  • Brooches

Many may express concern that their outfit will be a bit “too much” if they add any more to it, but I’m here to tell you that it’s never a bad idea to add accessories. I like to say that exaggeration all depends on the occasion. If you have a big presentation at your job, you might want to choose wearing small earrings. You can even wear a whole set of jewelry–as long as it’s not too distracting. Now let’s say you’re going out to a dance party. Here you have more freedom to wear those hoop earrings you love and doll up your outfit. Just remember: you don’t want to look like a Christmas tree full of ornaments either! If it helps, I always try to choose my accessories first, and then I match my outfit to them. It’s always better to be glamorously strutting down the street than to have forgotten something.

Yup, it’s lots of fun putting together an outfit , but that’s not the only perk of adding accessories! You also end up saving money and time! Expanding your creativity will allow you to have a variety of amazing  looks without going on a last-minute shopping trip. You can wear very simple ensembles–including pieces that you find boring–because when you accessorize, you can make any look look like a million dollars!

Karina Espinoza Rios is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Arizona State University. Her dream is to become a borderlands and arts reporter, but she would also like to pursue becoming an anchor for a talk show or for a local news station. Growing up in Phoenix, Arizona has empowered her to want to become an inspiration specifically for her community and aims to leave a mark in this place that has given her so much. She loves FASHION! And in her free time she enjoys spending time with her friends, reading books, and listening to music. Thrilled to be part of HerCampus, Karina is ready to explore her creative writing skills as she’s mostly worked with video and if you have any story ideas she is always open for an adventure! Feel free to contact her here: kespino6@asu.edu