7 Things Only People With Tangled Hair Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

There is a bit of a debate in the hair world. Straight-haired girls can’t get their hair to curl; curly-haired girls can’t straighten their hair without burning it. But there is one dilemma that ceases to make dinner-table conversation: tangled hair. Chronic hair tangling can leave women looking like they have dreadlocks or that they don’t brush their hair at all. The sad reality is, as much as we try, our hair will never be un-tangled.

1. When your hair dresser glares at you.

You always feel so bad for the person cutting your hair. You brushed your hair before your hair appointment, but your monster hair re-tangled in the car ride and she has to spend a good chunk of your appointment brushing it before she can actually manage to cut it. The worst is when she finally manages to get all the tangles out, cuts one side, goes for the other side and her comb gets stuck half way though. “I just brushed this,” she says. You know, and you didn’t even move! And you apologize for your difficult hair as she brushes it all again.

2. When you can’t get hair ties out because your hair tangled under it.

You would think a simple solution to tangled hair is to put it up so you don’t have to worry about it. Think again. When hair tangles under your hair tie, it can be so painful to try to get out. Sometimes you may need intervention and your best friend will have to help you get it out.

3. Hair. Hair everywhere.

Getting all those knots out is not easy. When the brush goes through your wadded, tangled mess, it breaks a lot of the strands. This leaves women will piles of broken hair all over the floor. Some women suffering from chronic hair tangling often resort to brushing her hair outside.

4. Hoodies

Collegiettes love hoodies. Whether it’s a workout hoodie, ASU hoodie, a boyfriend hoodie – we’re drawn to them. But it’s the hood. The hood is a dangerous thing to women with tangle-esque hair. The hoods of these jackets tangle long hair like crazy, and it is only made worse when the static comes.

5. What’s blowdrying?

There are hours upon hours of tutorials to get perfectly blow-dried hair. They typically involved brushing straight up or out and blow drying the underside for cute volume. What. Brushing my hair? When wet? Sorry, DIY tutorial girl, that’s not going to happen.

6. Detangling spray

“Hey your hair looks shiny and smells great, what product are you using?” Detangling spray -gallons and gallons of detangling spray. Some stores only sell this precious product in the form of kid products. It’s ok though, at least it’s a good conditioner for days where we’re too rushed to condition in the shower.

7. Speaking of kid products…

WHAT! A brush easy on tangles! Pain free brushing?? Oh wait, there’s a kid on that package. This is for kids. But in a tangled-women’s desperation, she buys it anyway only to realize that the bristles are indeed kid sized and don’t go all the way through your hair. At least the side facing the world is detangled. The underside is a tangled mess, but who has to know? 

I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University