6 Creative Ways to Use Zoom During Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Nearly every aspect of our lives have changed in the last couple weeks. I’m sure one of the biggest adjustments for some is the shift from university to online classes via Zoom, everybody’s new favorite web tool. Most universities use it to live stream classes and lectures, but the platform isn’t just for school. This is a stressful time, so take a break and find out how you can utilize Zoom in your personal life to make social distancing more fun!

Timezone Party

If you have friends in different time zones, you know how difficult it can be to actually get a hold of each other. Now that all of our schedules are a bit more flexible,  you can finally find a time that works for everyone! You can even add multiple people to a Zoom meeting, so you can talk to everybody at the same time without trying to bridge the iPhone versus Android gap. 

Virtual Book Club

Anybody else have a reading goal for the year that they’re already way behind on? Gather up a group of people and start a virtual book club! Pick a book that everybody is interested in and at the end of each month, meet on Zoom to discuss your thoughts. If you’d like a book recommendation, my friend group is starting with Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women!

Browse Tinder

What better way to waste time than to talk to some of the internet’s most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes! No meeting up allowed, but we all know that the swiping is our favorite part anyway. It’s always more fun with a friend, though, so don’t worry. Using Zoom’s screen share option, you can choose to share your phone screen that way everybody in your friend group can cast their vote for when to swipe right.

Sync Up and Watch YouTube 

Everybody’s been raging about the Chrome extension called “Netflix Party” that allows you to sync up your Netflix with your friends and chat with them at the same time. But if you prefer face-to-face interaction instead of a typed-out chat, you can make it happen on Zoom. One person (who’s using their computer’s audio) needs to choose something from YouTube then share their screen. You’ll be able to see and hear both the video and your friends.

Have A Conversation In Another Language

I’ve seen a lot of motivational posts recommending that we use some of our free time to practice a second language. It’s pretty difficult to build the motivation to practice a language especially since it’s so hard to do alone! Challenge yourself and a friend to get through a whole call speaking only in the language you’re learning. It’’ll be difficult but I guarantee that it will be valuable!

Dress Up For A Party

Sometimes you just feel like getting dressed up, but unfortunately there is literally nowhere to go. Why not use a virtual get-together as a reason to get out of your PJ’s? You can even make it a real party and eat a meal together- or, let’s be real, your fifth snack of the day. 

Remember to stay safe! Thank you to everybody who is doing their part to help. We’re all in this together.

Madeline is a junior studying English at Arizona State University. She was raised in California but now calls Arizona home. Some of her hobbies are reading, writing, and taking really long walks through parks with beautiful scenery.