5 Reasons You Should Consider Traveling Solo

Personally, I love traveling by myself. I’ve gone to Cairo, Seattle, and LA on my own, and each has been an amazing and reflective experience. I love the freedom of not worrying about pleasing others and having the chance to explore a city by myself. Although it can seem daunting and intimidating, traveling alone can be an excellent way to get in touch with yourself and gain some new perspective on life. So here are the 5 reasons you should consider traveling solo this summer whether it’s in the US or internationally.

1. 1. You get to make your own schedule

When you travel on your own, you don’t have to worry about coordinating with others as to what sites to see and where to eat. It may seem selfish, but experiencing complete autonomy over what you do in an unfamiliar city is gratifying. You aren’t faced with your friend’s, or worse, your own dissatisfaction for not having gotten to visit that one shop or go on that one tour. You don’t feel like need to please other people and sacrifice your own wants and needs in return. When you’re alone, you get to make the rules and determine how your vacation will look. Spend a day going on tours, walking around the city, or scouting for the best food around. Do what makes you happy and satisfies your curiosity of the place you’re visiting.

2. 2. You won’t feel as alone as you’d expect 

Even though you’re alone, you will meet people on your travels. On my most recent trip to Seattle, I met a group of girls visiting from Ireland on a water bus, and a group of siblings getting brunch at my favorite spot in the city. You may be by yourself, but you won’t feel alone if you open yourself up to the city. Even when visiting Egypt, despite a language barrier, I met a girl on the metro that practiced her English with me, while I tried my hand at some basic Arabic. Just because a place may seem intimidating or inaccessible, don’t let it stop you from experiencing it because it could be the most fulfilling experience of your life. Yes, you won’t have another person to take all of those Insta worthy photos of you. But isn’t that the beauty of it? An experience all your own?

3. 3. You get to eat by your own dietary restrictions

Although it seems mundane, if you travel with a person (or people) with differing dietary habits, finding somewhere to eat can always be a struggle. Instead, when traveling alone, you can scope out all of the places you want to eat that suit your own dietary needs. Especially if you’re traveling internationally. If you’re a foodie ready to experience a variety of local cuisine, you won’t be limited by a friend that strictly eats a burger and fries everywhere they go.

4. 4. It’s quiet

There is something magical about traveling alone. Even in a large city, it seems quiet. You aren’t continually chatting, except interacting with people in retail, and there’s a beauty to dialing back and taking the world in instead. You start to reflect on yourself, your place in the world, the person you want to be, or the future you want to attain. This time of looking inwards and evaluating is essential for growth, and sometimes the only way that can happen is when it’s quiet. Take the time to do a travel journal especially and carry it with you everywhere you go.

5. 5. You feel empowered

It’s essential to find ways to build self-confidence and empower ourselves, and traveling alone is a fantastic way to do that. By doing it alone, you can prove to yourself, and others if you wish, that you are capable of being in the world on your own terms. It is wholly gratifying to go on a trip and be able to show and tell about the things you saw, did, and accomplished alone. It won’t always be the most exciting experience, but at least you’ll be able to say you did it with confidence.

Don’t be afraid to experience the world on your own terms. You will grow and find you may prefer traveling solo. You can find strength within yourself to do things you never imagined you would have done otherwise. So what are you waiting for?