This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

On November 10, 2023, the official list of Grammy nominations for the past year was announced. While it has undoubtedly been an amazing year for music, there were some questionable additions in the larger categories. Below are some of the more important nominations and our thoughts about where they went wrong. 

1. Record of the Year

Nominees include: 

Billie Eilish – What Was I Made For? [Barbie Movie] 

Boygenius – Not Strong Enough

Jon Batiste – Worship

Miley Cyrus – Flowers

Olivia Rodrigo – Vampire

SZA – Kill Bill 

Taylor Swift – Anti-Hero

Victoria Monét – On My Mama

Thoughts:

As expected, Taylor Swift and SZA killed it this year. We love to see some love going out to Boygenius and Victoria Monét hitting the list. HOWEVER, let’s be realistic. Who listened to Jon Batiste’s new album? (This is literally how I found out he released new music). Also, where is Hozier? Made one of the BEST albums I’ve ever heard, unmatched lyricism and tone, and no nomination? 

1. Album of the Year

Nominees include: 

Boygenius – The Record

Janelle Monáe – The Age of Pleasure

Jon Batiste – World Music Radio

Lana Del Rey – Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

Miley Cyrus – Endless Summer Vacation

Olivia Rodrigo – Guts

SZA – SOS

Taylor Swift – Midnights

Thoughts

The love I have for Lana is unmatched, and DYKTTATUOB is a fantastic album to nominate for this category. 

1. Best New Artist

Nominees include:

Coco Jones

Gracie Abrams

Fred Again..

Ice Spice

Jelly Roll

Noah Kahan

Victoria Monét

The War and Treaty

Thoughts

Personally, I am always rooting for my main man Noah Kahan. “Northern Attitude” and “The View Between Villages” are definitely going to be at the top of my Spotify wrapped this year. Still, you can’t go wrong with any of the amazing musicians on this list. 

1. Best Rock Song: 

Nominees include: 

Boygenius – Not Strong Enough
Foo Fighters – Rescued
Olivia Rodrigo – Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl
Queens of the Stone Age – Emotion Sickness
The Rolling Stones – Angry

Thoughts

This is an absolutely beautiful category. I like to see the more diverse inclusions of Boygenius and Olivia because these tracks definitely exceed their traditional groupings as either alternative or pop artists. In simpler terms, they definitely rock. (Also, Foo Fighters and Rolling Stones are still amazing, for those who are wondering). 

The official award ceremony will take place on Feb. 4, 2023, so be sure to tune in then for the announced winners (or just wait for us to write about it the next day)!

Mia Milinovich is a junior at Barrett, the Honors College, studying English (Literature) and Journalism & Mass Communications. She enjoys writing, reading, listening to garage rock, and going to random, last-minute concerts.