books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

You Know You’re A Bookworm When…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Ananya Khandelwal

Imagine that it’s a cold, cold day. You’re curled up on your chair near the window, neatly tucked in your warm, fuzzy blanket. As you sip from the steaming hot cup of rich hot chocolate, you don’t bother to savour the taste. Instead, what you’re focused on is the book in your other hand – the book, that is leading you to an adventure you’ve never experienced before!

If you, by any chance, are one of those individuals whose ultimate fantasy is this, then you, my friend, are a bookworm.

Yep, a bookworm – an endemic being that devours any book that comes its way.

And it’s not exactly a hard task to discover people like us. Here’s exactly how you identify that you’re a bookworm:

1) You Scan Every Line You Come Across

If you’re one of those people, who even when you’re sitting in a doctor’s office and scanning things, then my friend, you are a bookworm.

Bookworms have this tendency to read any word that comes their way, in greater detail – especially when they are bored. For them, even the slightest of slightest reading culls their boredom.

2) People Are Often Amazed At Your Speed

When you’re a bookworm, you don’t just read books. You devour them. You completely absorb yourself in that wild, wild adventure you’re reading about. Everything else just blurs.

Because of this, chances are high that you end up finishing books faster than others around you. And that’s something that they marvel at – because hey, reading at such a rapid speed is a great talent, right?

3) People Tend To Be Shocked At How Many Books You Read

Chances are, if you’re a bookworm, people would be super shocked when they see you waltzing along with a new book every other day.

“Didn’t you just start reading the red-coloured book? Damn, how many books can you read?”

Yep, don’t be surprised when people throw such questions at you. It’s the case with all of us bookworms!

4) You Go Crazy In A Bookstore

When you enter a bookstore, it’s like you’ve entered Paradise.

There are so many books, stacking up – from the best sellers to the obscure novels tucked in the corner. And looking at this treasure chest, you just can’t help but feel, “I want it ALL!”

Then, as you start having a maniacal glint in your eye and start buying the entire bookstore, your horrified friends have to drag you away, before you spend your entire fortune away!

5) You Feel There’s Always A Lot More To Read

That nagging feeling is always, always going to be there.

No matter how hard you try, you will always feel that there is a lot more books you have to explore and a lot more things you need to read.

It’s always going to gnaw you and guilt trip you into getting more books.

But hey, you can never really have too many books, can you?

***

So if you’re one of those people who feel that you’re going to be haunting libraries once you die, then congratulations, my friend! You are a bookworm. Embrace the madness. Keep reading!  

Chitra Nair

Ashoka '19

You know that cheery little harpy who's bouncing along with a big fat book in her hands and talking super loudly? Well, that's me.
Hello! I am Aanchal, a second-year psychology major at Ashoka University. I love to travel around places with a small backpack on my shoulders and create new connections whenever possible. Anime is my guilty pleasure. Expressing my feelings through writing calms me down and keeps me at peace.