RORY AND JESS REMADE OR JUST US?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited By: Anika Kulshreshtha

Do you ever think about it? Meeting that one annoyingly perfect person but time rudely barges in and chooses to interrupt? It’s stupidly painful. They fit into your life like that missing puzzle piece, just clicking in a way that feels right. But then life says, “Hold on, not now,” leaving you dumbfounded.

This isn’t just a little heartache; it’s a story of missed chances and desires. It’s the plot twist that ruins the whole book – a look into what could be, a journey into “what if,” and a lingering ache that comes with realizing that, sometimes, love and timing just don’t sync up, each running on its own unpredictable path.

Me: Hey, can we talk for a bit? There’s something on my mind.

Him: Of course, what’s wrong? Are you okay?

Me: I was just rewatching Gilmore Girls and couldn’t stop thinking about us whenever Rory and Jess came on screen. Their story seems eerily similar to ours. Has that ever crossed your mind? Maybe we’re like them? Or they’re like us? It’s like this weird mirror, you know? The right person at the wrong time.

Him: Huh, I had never really looked at it that way. But now that I think about it, you’re right. I mean, we had something special, right? But the timing just messed it up. Rory and Jess had a whole lot of issues though. Do you feel that way about us too?

Me: I mean, they did have their own set of problems and so do we, but there was something about them, their connection, and that incredibly magnetic pull. It’s like they were meant to be but life kept getting in the way.

Him: You’re right. Despite everything, we did have complications. Firstly, we had issues at school that were hard to shake. Then there were difficulties in our own families and personal struggles that had to be addressed. Even then though, we managed to pull through. But then I had to move to a whole new country for college.

Me: Exactly. I can’t seem to get rid of this feeling. This undeniable ache for you. For us. 

Him: What do you mean? You know I’ll always be here for you.

Me: I know that. At least in theory. But what happens when you meet someone new? Somebody else who lights up the room for you?

Him: Shush, that’s not happening anytime soon. 

Me: You can’t guarantee that. You don’t know. We didn’t expect to fall in love with each other either. This kind of stuff just happens. 

Him: Stop it. I don’t want to think about this. 

Me: But we have to discuss this at some point. Our conversations are certainly not platonic. Where do we go from here?

Him: I’m not ready to let you go.

Me: Neither am I.

*silence* 

Him: What are you thinking about now?

Me: Just that right now, you call me ‘the prettiest thing you’ve ever seen.’ What about when you start falling for someone else? Will you call her that too? 

Him: No. Never.

Me: It’s easy for you to say that right now. I’ll ask you again in 5 years.

Him: It’ll be true even then. It’ll always be true.

Me: Why did you have to go so far away?

Him: I am an idiot for doing that.

Me: That’s definitely something we both agree on.

Him: Smartass.

Me: I just want you to hug me right now and tell me we’ll make it.

Him: We’ll figure out a way. 

Me: You promise?

Him: I promise.

Me: I’m just scared that we’ll both change. And then what we’ve built will become sour. I can’t fathom not talking to you, or worse, hating you.

Him: I get it. It’s scary. But you know, Rory and Jess went through their fair share of changes and challenges too. They grew individually, faced obstacles, and yet, somehow found their way back to each other. 

Me: Yeah, but what if we’re not as strong as them? What if distance and time change us irreversibly?

Him: We won’t know until we try. Even with the distance, I can’t imagine my life without you and your cute little smile in it.

Me: You mean this? *smiles wide to prove a point*

Him: *grins in response* Yes, exactly that. 

Me: I love you, idiot.

Him: I love you. Sleep now. It’s like 4 am for you.

Me: I’m not sleepy yet. *yawns*

Him: *rolls eyes* Sure you aren’t. 

Me: Ugh, fine. I’ll sleep.

Him: Good. We’ll talk tomorrow. Goodnight. Dream the nicest things. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.

Me: Hehe, goodnight. 

Nights like these make me wish things were simpler. I yearn to jump into the deep portal of time travel when we spent hours just gazing into each other’s eyes. Now, I am constantly worried that I am wasting my time holding on to something that needs to be let go of. You’re my best friend, how on Earth am I supposed to stop loving you? Am I supposed to stop loving you? 

Tanya Gupta

Ashoka '27

Tanya is a content writer for HerCampus Ashoka. She is a freshman and aims to pursue Psychology as a major. You can usually find her in a corner with a book in hand, engrossed in the life of a messy protagonist or writing poetry as a means of catharsis. She is a Swiftie at heart and also loves listening to Arctic Monkeys, The Driver Era, and Gracie Abrams. She is also very into horror movies and true crime (viewing not committing).