Kicking Navratri Off With Respect: 8 Incredible Indian Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Winter brings the festive season along with it, which indeed warms hearts and unites the diverse population of the country. This season kicked off with Durga Pooja, which was celebrated all over the country. Durga Maa is supposed to be the destroyer of the demonic forces that threaten peace. She is a symbol of a powerful woman who looks after her devotees and ensures their safety and harmony by conquering the demons. Many Indian households worship the girl child in their family as a form of the Goddess Durga, who indeed demonstrates her power by fighting against all odds and by making the country proud in many ways. This article will shed light on some of the most incredible women who have made India proud by showing their potentials in their respective fields, thus proving that the energy in Goddess Durga is present everywhere, in all women!

1. Heena Sidhu: She is a 28-year-old Pistol shooter from Punjab. In 2013, she became the first Indian pistol shooter to win the gold medal in ISSF (International Shooting Sports Federation) World Cup. In 2014, Heena Sidhu became the first Indian pistol shooter to reach number one in the world rankings of the International Shooting Sports Federation. Her achievements did not stop there: in the Commonwealth Games held in Australia this year, she also became the first Indian to win a gold medal in 25m pistol shooting.

2. Manika Batra and Mouma Das: India bagged many medals in the Commonwealth Games this year and another game where women left their mark was table tennis. Manika Batra and Mouma Das became the first to bring the gold medal to India in women’s doubles table tennis. India had never won a gold medal in the Commonwealth Games in table tennis before. This achievement is thus significant in Indian history.

3. Mary Kom: Mary Kom is famous all over India for her extraordinary performance in boxing. She participated in the Commonwealth Games for the first time this year and bagged a gold medal in women’s boxing. She was the only Indian woman boxer who qualified for the Summer Olympics 2012 and won a medal in each one of the six world championships. Her achievements and dedication are testaments to the fact that women can succeed in any field.

4. Priyanka Chopra: She is one of the most successful Bollywood actors to have left their mark in Hollywood. Priyanka Chopra started her acting career in 2003 and has acted in more than 50 Hindi films. Along with her acting skills, her social work is also inspiring. She is a global UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador who works for children’s and girls rights. She was also named of Forbes 100 Most Successful Women in 2017. Chopra is a good example of a celebrity using her public platform for a higher purpose. She shows how talent need not be limited to only one part of the world.

5. INS Tarini: Last year, an all-female crew took a voyage around the world in INS Tarini, successfully returning back home on 21 May 2018. The team received the Nari Shakti Puraskar by President Ram Nath Kovind for their outstanding contribution towards women’s empowerment.

6. Dr Bharti Lavekar: Dr Bharti Lavekar is one of the most well-known women to have taken steps for the empowerment of women. Because of her, India got its first Sanitary Pad bank this year, through the TEE Foundation. This initiative has brought great honour to us and has proved that if women stand by each other, India can truly be called Incredible!

7. Avani Chaturvedi:  Avani Chaturvedi became India’s first woman pilot to fly a solo fighter jet on 22nd February 2018.

8. Kiran Mazumdar: Kiran Mazumdar is India’s first woman billionaire with a net worth of 3.2 billion dollars. Kiran founded Biocon Limited, an Indian biopharmaceutical company in Bangalore, which brought her to this position. She was also ranked 72nd in Forbes Most Powerful Women of 2017.

These incredible women have surely proven that there are no gender boundaries for passion or talent. In the words of Paulo Coelho, when you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you achieve it. However, the recent #MeToo movement has shown us that there is still a lot of work to be done. While these women are making our country proud through their talent and achievements, many are fighting for basic human rights. Let us wish that this year’s Durga Pooja brings a new horizon to women’s aspirations. Let us hope for a better tomorrow, where the #MeToo movement will no longer be necessary, and women will be allowed to follow their dreams.

Dugga Dugga!

Edited by Ananya Khandelwal

I am someone who doesn't quit easily till I perfect the intricacies involved in the classical dance form of Kathak! Introverted yet observant and analytical, I love to absorb whatever goes on in the world around me and weave lucid tales out of it. 
Aqsa Pervez

Ashoka '19

An avid reader, she reads almost anything she can lay her hands on. She can share anything except cookies. She enjoys moonlit walks, whistling and basking in the winter sun.