This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

By: R Aishwarya

Under the scorching sun with perspiration dripping across her face, stood Samriddhi. The track
field was overflowing with her schoolmates and her heart was overwhelmed with doubt. Did she
really think that she of all people could run the 400 metres race at her Sports Day? Did she really
believe that she could beat all the other athletes?
Questions clouded her mind just as the sun briefly was engulfed by the clouds which provided a
respite from the heat. Savouring the sudden coolness, she sat down and a group of girls passed
by. Samriddhi looked up to see those girls with their athletic attire comprising fluorescent
hairbands, wristbands, sweatpants, and shoes.

“Oh, hi, Samriddhi!” squeaked a girl who was wearing a pair of athletic shorts that exposed her
thighs and legs.
“Hi, Sameera!” Samriddhi greeted her with a smile but, she was thinking how she would have
invited much scorn from the elders in her home if she had even set her eyes on these pairs of
short shorts. In her home and culture, girls cannot even sit in a way that exposed their feet
beyond the ankles.
Observing her momentary silence, Sameera broke her reverie.
“I heard you are participating in the 400 metre race.” Sameera said softly.
“What are you wearing for the event anyway? You can’t definitely wear the school uniform.”
asked Alisha, who was also participating in the competition.

“Also, you are always behind a book, aren’t you? How come you are here on the field? Do you
even know to run?” asked Sandhya, who was there to support her friend Alisha.

Samriddhi had expected the mockery. She had always been a skinny and studious girl raised
under strict traditional values. Sports was always something that she had wanted to try and when
she appeared for the preliminary rounds she had heard the same taunts. In all honesty, Samriddhi
knew in her heart of hearts that she could be athletic (she, after all, helped her parents at her farm
in clearing weeds and collecting firewood). Hence, her physical ability was unquestionable but,
she had never revealed her work at the farm fearing judgement. Nevertheless, the reality behind
her financial situation was inescapable; she was studying with a scholarship in an elite school
due to her meritorious work in academics and all her classmates knew by her apparel, lack of
fluency in English and her parents demeanour that she came from humble origins.
Samriddhi never cared about it in her regular life. But, at moments like these, she felt less than
her peers. She was still a simple girl with wornout shoes and wearing her sports uniform when
everyone else was around wearing the extravagant athleisures.
With that thought, she stood up without uttering a word to her bullies. They were laughing
behind her back and in a couple of minutes, Samriddhi was at the starting line. Alisha and her
friends were cheering for each other. A senior student came to encourage the girls by shaking
their hands. As she did so, she deliberately ignored to shake samriddhi’s hand.

Samriddhi was at the finish line before anyone else with her old school uniform soaking in sweat
and her faithful wornout shoes winning the race. She smiled at Alisha who was shook. She
smiled at the senior who ignored her hand. Then, she smiled at her sports attire and shoes for

they had taught her an important lesson. Inclusivity in sports doesn’t come with expensive sports
gear rather it comes with a scintillating spirit to accept everyone regardless of gender, financial
status or even studiousness. She had accepted herself and surprised to learn that sports didn’t let
her down. After the award ceremony, Samriddhi glanced at her medal and promised herself, if
she ever had a chance in the future, she would make sports less discriminatory so that no other
human would ever have to doubt themselves before that startline.

Note- The views and opinions expressed in this article are personal and do not reflect the views
or official policy of Ashoka University, Sports Ministry, Her Campus, and Her Campus Ashoka
University.

Click on our profile to see Guest Writers and Collaborative articles from HCAU!