This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Colour my skin burnt, because I touched down in Kerala.

I got out of my seat in the aircraft, picked up my bags and stood in the aisle. I could feel my mother’s anticipation of being back in her hometown charging the air around us. I could not help but smile myself.

When the warm and humid air hit my face as we made our way to the bus I knew I was in Trivandrum. Coming here has always been a yearly (if not bi-yearly) process for me, and barring the incessant heat and the and innumerous creepy crawlies, I absolutely love being in the capital of God’s Own Country. Unfortunately, in my 11th and 12th grade, I did not get the chance to travel to Kerala at all. It was the first time in the nineteen years of my life that I had done so.

The bus stopped. When we picked up our bags and headed towards the exit, I caught my aunt and uncle’s eyes. They were patiently waiting to pick us up. I abandoned my luggage and headed straight towards them. As I hugged them, I realised how long it had really been since I had been back in Kerala.

Our destination was not in the city, it lied a little beyond it. Surrounded by trees and vegetation as far as the eye could see, nestled away in a corner of Trivandrum, is the village that my mother was born and raised in. We passed by familiar rows of small shops, and waved at some of our relatives and friends we saw. Most of them had chandan smeared on their forehead and a small piece of a banana leaf in their hands. The leaf contained prasadam from the evening archana in the local temple.

As we drove further, I finally caught a glimpse of my grandparents’ home.

Photo by Yuheng Chen on Unsplash

My grandparent’s home has been in the family for generations. While there have been a few renovations here and there, you can tell that it is very old. Yet, despite its age, it stands tall and majestic. Oh, and did I mention that it is located on top of a hill? It is unconventional, but very cool.

As we neared the house, I saw my grandparents standing in the veranda waiting to greet us. Their faces lit up when they spotted me. I laughed as my grandfather began to tease my mother and I for turning into city girls. My grandmother embraced me and assured me that she was going to make my favourite meals for the entire duration of my stay.   

A familiar sense of ease and contentment settled deep inside of me. I realised that home is not just a place, it’s also the people in your lives and who you choose to surround yourself with. And amongst all the members of my maternal family, I felt right at home.

Over the next few days, we travelled to meet our extended family, making sure to buy enough jalebis and cakes for all of them prior to the date of our visitation. For it is blasphemous to visit your relatives empty-handed.

Photo by Vivek Kumar on Unsplash

I spent some much-needed time with my cousins, and other uncles and aunts. Talking about various subjects with the adults and playing with the children reminded me that I was still in a stage of my life where I was not clearly seen as a kid or a grown-up. I found this very amusing.

Between the lazy days and days spent shopping, I learned how to ride a scooter. It was especially exciting given how if I were to ask my father if I could drive it in Bangalore, he would have looked at me and simply said, “over my dead body”.  Watching my mother facepalm each time I swerved in the wrong direction gave me joy.

Sadly, the fun times in Kerala are slowly drawing to a close. When the multi-storied buildings in Bangalore will replace these Keralite trees, I know I will ache to be back in my grandparent’s home. To be on top of a hill, to eat delicious home cooked meals made with love!

But unfortunately one cannot escape reality. I will have to get back to the humdrum of my life in the garden city. There will always be phone calls and video chats that will keep me in contact with my family. But we all know that virtual interactions are no substitute for real ones.

While this is the unfortunate case, there is another thing that keeps me going: I will be back home soon again.

Edited by Kartika Puri (UG 2019)

Nivedita Nandakumar is known to be an eccentric, compassionate, hard-working individual who is always willing to take on new challenges. Raised in Bangalore city, she lived with her two loving parents and an adorable grandmother before moving to Ashoka University. Her favorite subjects in school were biology and social science. She is currently (a struggling) Psychology Major. She is an animal lover at heart and loves to read. She also occasionally pens down poems and short stories. Music is her escape from the world. She sings and plays two instruments- the guitar and the piano. She loves puns and wordplay. She has a quirky sense of humor and has no filter for sarcasm. It simply goes over her head. She is also known to be extremely chatty and can carry on conversations regarding absolutely anything under the sun.
Aqsa Pervez

Ashoka '19

An avid reader, she reads almost anything she can lay her hands on. She can share anything except cookies. She enjoys moonlit walks, whistling and basking in the winter sun.