This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by Vanishree 

With the hype surrounding the release of Drishyam 2, the sequel to Jeethu Joseph’s Drishyam (which was later remade in Hindi), Malayalam cinema finds itself under the spotlight once again. Often finding itself overshadowed by its Tamil, Telugu, and Hindi counterparts, Mollywood usually gets the attention when Bollywood remakes one of its movies. But even then, many a time, the remake fails to capture the essence of the original, with the story not fitting in well with the culture and context of the Hindi-speaking audience. Needless to say, outside the Indian subcontinent, it’s unlikely that Indian cinema can be seen as anything less dramatic and over the top than K3G. 

Some movies are an exception, nevertheless, such as Alphonse Puthren’s Premam and Anjali Menon’s Bangalore Days. Well, today I have a list of must-watch Malayalam movies for you that don’t include these two. Some of these are well appreciated in Kerala, while others are personal favourites of mine. I’ve also included where each movie can be watched, for those who want to broaden their streaming experiences. Happy watching!

1. Parinayam (1994)

This is a movie that was way ahead of its times, in terms of theme, and aesthetics. It is a period film that tells the story of a Namboothiri (Malayali Brahmin) girl who is married off at sixteen as the fourth wife to an elderly man. He dies shortly after the wedding, and a few years later, she becomes pregnant. The movie begins on this note and proceeds to depict the lives of the Namboothiri wives, who are not allowed outside the house post their husband’s death. The movie itself is based on the cruel trial of women (who have done something “wrong”) pursued by the community. It is shot in a picturesque traditional Kerala house, however, one soon starts to feel the beauty of the architecture fade the further one gets into the movie. It’s a strong critique of Brahminical patriarchy, caste, misogyny, and outdated moralities, and hence was met with backlash from the said community when it was released. 

Watch it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr81NDVJ6VM

1. Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu (1999)

Don’t let the name intimidate you! It simply translates to “Put Kajal and a Bindi”. This is the movie that won Manju Warrier her special jury mention at the National Film Awards. It narrates the story of Bhadra, a young woman in her early twenties, seeking revenge for the murder of her parents by a feudal landlord. But don’t be fooled! She doesn’t need a dashing male hero for that. Coming into his house posed as household help, her plan of action will surely leave you in awe. The movie is set in the backdrop of Kuttanad, a small village in Kerala, where incidentally, my family is from. It reflects on themes of class inequality, sexual harassment, and communism. 

Watch it on Hotstar: https://www.hotstar.com/in/movies/kannezhuthi-pottumthottu/1770004459

1. Spirit (2012)

Probably one of the few movies in India where substance abuse is the whole plot, rather than just a quick device used to make the protagonist interesting (I’m looking at you, Arjun Reddy, and Kabir Singh). Spirit shows us a peek into the life of Raghu, a raging alcoholic played by the one and only Mohanlal. Despite being a famous TV journalist with his own show, he is shown to be disconnected from most people, including his best friend, (who happens to be his ex-wife) and his son. His painful recovery from alcoholism and his quest to show others the true nature of the illness makes up the rest of the movie. The best thing about this movie, in my opinion, is Mohanlal’s stellar performance of alcoholism and the withdrawal that follows. 

Watch it on Hotstar: https://www.hotstar.com/in/movies/spirit/1000160225

1. Mayaanadhi (2017)

Any Malayali reading this will say it is quite a cliche to put this movie on this list, but I had to have it, as it is a movie that I’m deeply attached to. Mayaanadhi is the love story between Mathan, a convict on the run, and Aparna (aka Appu), a struggling actress. Mathan and Appu, who had a brief relationship in college meet again and fall in love in the city of Kochi, where the former is hiding from the police. Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu police are on the hunt for Mathan for a crime he didn’t commit. While Appu is reluctant to trust him, owing to a backstory and her own financial issues, Mathan tries his best, throughout the movie, to win her over. Accompanied with a background score and songs that will stick with you, Mayaanadhi will truly make you believe in true love again. Appu and Mathan’s love has attained a sort of cult status in Kerala, and for good reason too. 

Watch it on Sun Nxt: https://www.sunnxt.com/movie/detail/72252/mayaanadhi/

1. The Great Indian Kitchen (2021)

What starts off as a slow-paced, documentary-type movie about a newlywed middle-class woman in her in-law’s house, quickly turns into something that a lot of women in our country consider a nightmare. Nimisha Sajayan portrays the unnamed protagonist of this movie, the new daughter-in-law of the household of four people. She slowly finds herself oppressed by rampant, benevolently sexist, and archaic traditions, and overbearing chores. What’s worse is, her husband, a Sociology teacher, seems to push aside her concerns and problems. While it does not have a complex plot, the tension that is built right up to the climax is what makes this movie brilliant. The grossly realistic portrayals of Indian households make this movie one that will surely make anyone watching it both uncomfortable and angry. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for the whole family, especially the men, to watch this movie. The subtle jabs taken towards religion are also appreciable. 

Watch it on NeeStream: https://neestream.com/login

Now that we want the midterm break to start already, this is the perfect list to start your week-long binge session!

Feminist//Writer//Decent human being
Mehak Vohra

Ashoka '21

professional procrastinator.