Wellness

Finding Respite Through Cooking

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Tired of eating the mess food and spending hefty sums of money at the food outlets? Or perhaps you’re simply yearning for the comforting flavors of home-cooked meals? Fret not, for I have you covered! Whether you want to savor some good food or simply want to relish the act of cooking, I have recipes suitable for every day of your schedule. Drawing inspiration from platforms like Pinterest, Instagram Reels, YouTube, and my own family traditions, these recipes are sure to delight your taste buds.

Quick Snacks

Peanut Butter Date Bars

If you’re craving something sweet and healthy but find yourself short on time, give these no-bake quick date bars a try. They boast irresistible sweetness without the need for refined sugar. Simply halve some dates, remove the seeds, and fill them with almonds and peanut butter. Dip them in melted chocolate and freeze for 15 minutes (however, be mindful, as they might mysteriously vanish from the confines of the fridge before you’re ready to enjoy them!). Just let the chocolate set, and then indulge in these delightful treats!

Egg Cheese Toast

Grab two slices of your favorite bread. In a pan, melt some butter or heat oil. Once melted, crack in one or two eggs and season with a pinch of salt, black pepper, and any other desired spices. Scramble the eggs until fully cooked. In a bowl, mix together butter, oregano, chili flakes, ketchup, and the scrambled egg mixture. Spread this flavorful mixture onto the bread slices, add cheese in your preferred form, sandwich with the second slice, and microwave or toast for 1 minute.

Snacks for When You Have a Bit More Time

Protein-Packed Bhel Puri

Cook kaala channa in a pressure cooker with water (using double the quantity of chickpeas) and salt for 45 minutes. In a bowl, combine diced onions, salt, pepper, red chili powder, and lemon juice. Then, add the drained chickpeas, peanuts, and puffed rice. Mix thoroughly, and savor the deliciousness!

Namakpare

This savory snack is perfect for those crisp, salty cravings. In a bowl, mix together one cup of maida, a teaspoon of ghee, baking soda, and salt to taste. Slowly add water and knead until the dough is no longer sticky. Let it rest for 15 minutes, then divide the dough into small balls and flatten them into chapatis. Don’t worry about achieving a perfect circle. Once flattened, use a knife to cut the dough into rectangles or your desired shape. Fry these namakpares until they turn golden brown and crispy. For those with a sweet tooth, you can replace the salt with sugar and follow the rest of the recipe to make shakarparas instead.

Main Course

Chicken Kaanti

Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, red chili powder, turmeric powder, saunf, chicken masala, garam masala, curd, and vinegar or lemon juice for at least two hours. Fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown. In the same pan, sauté chopped onions, capsicums, and tomatoes until the onions turn translucent. Season with salt and spices to taste, then add water. Cover and cook until a thick gravy forms. Garnish with onions or coriander for a final touch of flavor.

Butter Paneer

Cut the paneer into small cubes and coat them with salt, pepper, and red chili powder. In a pan, melt some butter and lightly fry the paneer pieces until golden. Next, sauté a handful of cashews in butter for a minute. Add chopped onions and tomatoes to the pan, along with your desired spices. Cook until softened, then blend the mixture until smooth. Strain the mixture to achieve a perfectly smooth gravy. Return the gravy to the pan, add some fresh cream, and cook until it thickens. Garnish with additional cream and coriander for a luxurious finishing touch.

Desserts

Cake

Baking a cake from scratch may seem daunting, but fear not! This recipe utilizes easily accessible ingredients. Blend your favorite biscuits (preferably chocolate chips or cream) into a fine powder. In a bowl, melt chocolate with butter and combine with the biscuit powder. Then, add in 1 teaspoon of baking powder and milk gradually until you achieve a smooth, pourable batter.  Do ensure that the batter is not overly thin or thick. Bake for 10 minutes, or longer if necessary. To check if it’s fully baked, insert a toothpick into the center of the item; it should come out clean when it’s ready. Allow to cool before serving, and feel free to decorate as desired.

Coconut Ladoos

This delightful treat requires only two ingredients and is incredibly easy to make. In a bowl, mix together desiccated coconut and condensed milk until a soft dough forms. Roll small portions of the dough into round laddoos. That’s it—simple yet satisfying!

So why wait? Roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and let the cooking adventures begin. With these recipes, you can enjoy delicious homemade meals without emptying your wallet or spending hours in the kitchen. Happy cooking!

Mohadisa is a content writer at Her Campus. She is a freshman at Ashoka University. Her intended major is psychology, with a minor in creative writing. When not studying, she can be found reading fiction, writing poetry, or walking around campus.