Delhi-ing Solo as a woman: A few tips to guide you to explore better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Delhi is a city that takes time getting used to, if you’re not someone who’s lived there for years. It’s a culture shock for those of us from quieter places. There are lots of things to do, and so much to learn, but you can’t do that when you dwell on how Delhi becomes a different city at night. People with less than noble intentions are everywhere, and Delhi is no exception.

Unfortunately, we can’t change people, and it’s not fair that women have to change their behaviour because someone else is a stalker or a harasser. And it’s also not fair on us women to neglect our own experience of the rich culture that the capital has to offer just because of some maniacs. There are plenty of little things to help us have a good time in Delhi, and show the world that a woman travelling alone can still walk with her head held high.

For all you Ashokan women, these few tips may come in handy when you’re travelling to Delhi:

1.       The Metro is Your Best Friend: The Delhi metro is probably the best way to get anywhere in the city. It is cheap, extensive, and well-organized (exceptions being Kashmere Gate and Rajiv Chowk, and even those aren’t so bad). As a solo female traveler, it is probably better to travel in the ladies compartment, especially if you haven’t been in Delhi very long. Many of us have heard rumors about Delhi in recent years, and stepping into a compartment uneasily while on a fun trip to GTB Nagar isn’t something you’d want to add to your to-do list, although it’s important to remain alert. The ladies compartment is a great confidence booster for women who are new to Delhi and want to learn how to walk around like they own the city. It gives you one less thing to get nervous about (but don’t get complacent).

2.       You Got the Power: If you’re like me and are coming into the city from a college almost an hour away, chances are you’d want to spend a few hours in Delhi and make the long journey worth it. In that case, get a power bank. With a fully-charged power bank and a USB cable, you can survive anything for a significant amount of time (also a great reassurance to concerned parents who may get anxious if you don’t call them at four in the afternoon on your way back). It’s a big city, so keeping Google Maps open for a long period of time without a power source handy may not be to your advantage (unless you have a phone with battery like those old Nokias; in that case, you may not need this section until your fourth consecutive day in Delhi).

3.       Silver Linings: Just because a place looks shady doesn’t mean that there aren’t nearby areas to have fun safely. For instance, in Nehru Place, there’s a food court in the same building as the station. Some of the surrounding tech areas are slightly creepy (trust me on this one, I went there four times), but the main road outside the station is perfectly normal, with a cinema and fast-food joints. Don’t get discouraged because one half of an area looks bad: either that or the other half is just fine. And sometimes that shady area may not be as bad as you thought (not at night; never go there in the night).

4.       Zones: Identify the areas in Delhi which attract a specific crowd; this can help you figure out what you need and where to get it. For instance, GTB Nagar attracts a lot of students, which means there are some great snack joints that also go easy on your wallet. Need a tech issue solved? Nehru Place might have the service center. More good food? Chandini Chowk is your go-to zone. It saves you the time you need to plan the trip, and you can do something else instead, like enjoying your freedom as a woman travelling alone in Delhi.

5.       Keep on Trying: Keep going to Delhi and exploring the city. The more you go, the more confidence you gain, and the harder it is for the sinister elements of the city to put you down. It’s still a good idea to go in the day, but if you keep working to own the day, you’ll be able to own the night too.

Edited by: Priyanka Shankar

All images are curated by Viraj Malani

Sabah is a third-year undergraduate at Ashoka University, majoring in English and Journalism. She is passionate about writing, going by the name cha_O_s on the writing site Wattpad, and enjoys creating stories in the genres of fantasy, romance, slice of life, teen fiction, and sometimes fanfiction. She is also keen on journalistic writing, especially in the fields of sports and culture. 
Hello! I am Aanchal, a second-year psychology major at Ashoka University. I love to travel around places with a small backpack on my shoulders and create new connections whenever possible. Anime is my guilty pleasure. Expressing my feelings through writing calms me down and keeps me at peace.